Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm stumped - 1998 Seadoo gsx ltd 951

I think my next step is pressure testing the engine but wanted to see if anybody has any other ideas. The ski is a 1998 Seadoo gsx ltd with a 951 carb motor. Ski was not idling, some guy from craigslist "rebuilt" them, still not working. Carbs removed, sent to national carburetors in fl, rebuilt and re-installed. Put back on, starter went up. That was last season. Starter has been replaced. Now last week tried to start ski. Found a broken reed blown out towards the carb (not in towards crank). Replaced entire reed cage. Re-assembled and ski won't idle. Pulled carbs off, cleaned, removed jets, used carb cleaner and compressed air, re-installed. Ski will now idle but idles like sh*t. Idles goes up and down then cuts off after a minute or two. Ski revs up fine. After pulling the throttle back and releasing a few times ski "runs away". Pulling the lanyard won't shut it off, pulling spark plug wires won't pull it off, pulling lanyard and then throttle will stop it. I have since, run a new fuel line from the tank (inside fill hole) to the carb to rule out the fuel pickup and selector valve. Oh yeah, gas us brand new. All old gas removed. Throttle cable has been checked and has slack. It does the same whether running on a hose or not. Have not water tested it. I'm thinking there may be an air leak. Any ideas? I have tried spraying carb cleaner around some gaskets to try to find an air leak but with an erratic idle I am having trouble. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

+1
    Check the small tubing attached down under the rear carb that goes to the RAVE solenoid. A backfire would cause a broken reed and possibly a hole burnt into that tubing, usually between the checkvalve and case. Were high and low screws removed and passages cleaned? What were the screws set at?

+1
    I have the same ski and it was doing the exact samething. I kept thinking it was a fuel problem and it was NOT in the end it was a bad ground from the MPEM to the motor. Take the expansion pipe off the motor, so you can gain access to the mag cover. Your going to find two black wires under a nut, take them off and sand the housing were the lugs were attached. When you reattach the lugs run a new black wire back to the battery as well. Your ski should idol perfect now and the lanyard and kill switch should work too.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. The h/l screws were removed for cleaning. The lows were set a 1.5 turns out, the highs were 0 and 1/4 turns out. I will check everything you guys mentioned tomorrow and report back with the results. Thank you

+1
    Your low jet should be 1 3/4 and the high jet should be 0.

+1
    Have to checked and cleaned the fuel selector vavle?? Still sounding like fuel to me. I had a ski do the same thing and had the carbs off 10times and checked everything on the ski, ended up being a clogged fuel vavle. We all replace the lines but I always forgot about the vavle

Checked the line to the rave solenoid, it seems ok. Pinched it off and started the ski. Idle still bounces up and down and eventually stalls.

Roved the two ground wires, sanded them, added a direct ground to the battery from these wires. Still no luck. Just to clarify, kill switch and start/stop work fine until the engine runs away.

Adjusted the low screws to 1.75 turns out. Played with them up to 2 turns out. Adjusted both high screws to 0 turns out. No luck there.

I bypassed the fuel selector and pickup in the tank by running a new fuel line from the carb to directly into the tank by removing the fill hose and dropping the fuel line right into the fuel.

Thanks for all the replies. Any other ideas?

+1
    Yes, as you figured.....time for a pressure test. Seems like it's sucking air somewhere.

+1
    sometimes you will find that no matter how many times you rebuild these carbs, you will never get them right, what you getting is a lean run away, i had the same problem, cost me three motors in a hours time !!!! Jim set up a set of fresh water ski carbs for me and boom, never had a problem again !!!! far as i know it still running today !!! contact Jim here on GH and talk to him, he is a 951 guru !!!!!

+1
    I find it hard to believe that lean carbs will make a motor rev all the way out to over 7k rpms and cause the kill switch and tether to not work. This is a mpem problem!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information