Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Vtech logger and knock reporting

In light of the storm of timing panic, I was wondering how accurate, easy and clear it is to see knock on any cylinder, in the Vtech logs?

Also, can you set up the logger to show knock 'live' as it happens, on the phone display?

I run the Vtech tune and manage fueling with the CMD. But I have no knock logging, so have to just keep my octane high, my timing conservative and trust the ECU will act quickly and pull the timing (although it appears the knock sensor is struggling to hear knock over 8000 rpm). This being the case, does the logger even hear it?

Just an aside, Vtech are under a lot of pressure, demands and in the middle of a server move. Despite this they have been quick to answer emails and even made changes to a tune for me late last night. I really think the guys are trying, but must be snowed under right now. I'm normally the first to moan, so it's only fair I share the good service I'm getting. No I'm not associated with them, just happen to live an hour down the road from them!

+1

+1
    Yes it is very easy live you can see it on a per cylinder basis. However you can not see it without megalog HD viewer once uploaded to the server. But if you log you can see it happen in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Branden View Post
    Yes it is very easy live you can see it on a per cylinder basis. However you can not see it without megalog HD viewer once uploaded to the server. But if you log you can see it happen in real time.
    By real time I meant as you're riding? If you can't see it immediately, can you periodically stop n chech the log from the phone?

It's just that riding a whole day, with heavy knock that you don't see until you get home, feels a bit risky.

How confident are we that the logger can hear knock over 8000rpm? Also if the ECU is hearing it, why is it not pulling the timing to stop the knock?

I always believed the stock knock sensor still worked after tuning ?!?!

Here is what knock looks like in MLVHD

http://www.nbs-stl.com/RxpxTuning/Se...Knock%2003.png

I am getting my ski out of storage soon and will start playing around with the new features on a phone display.

Apparently, you can set the screen to display knock detected. I have not personally done it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    Apparently, you can set the screen to display knock detected. I have not personally done it yet.
    Andy, do you mind trying that function out. If it does hear knock at higher rpm's, and shows live on iphone, then it's a sound investment in my eyes, just for that function alone. I'd appreciate if you could try when you next take a run.

Just out of curiousity, how secure do you feel with either Vtech or ECU hearing knock over 8000? Why do you think the ECU is not pulling the timing on those ski's with head trouble?

My bet is these motors that are blowing head up are detonating. I need to see big logs to have any real confidence. From what I have seen, lots of the motors have knock as they come up thru about 6800 or so. Seeing more logs will help me identifying the pattern.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Andy, do you mind trying that function out. If it does hear knock at higher rpm's, and shows live on iphone, then it's a sound investment in my eyes, just for that function alone. I'd appreciate if you could try when you next take a run.

Just out of curiousity, how secure do you feel with either Vtech or ECU hearing knock over 8000? Why do you think the ECU is not pulling the timing on those ski's with head trouble?
    The ecu can see knock very well well at top rpms AND it will adjust your ignition down.

I will post examples of this.

Yes you can have the logger as a real time viewer and have it even flash red if it does detect knock.

Quote Originally Posted by VTECH.SE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post

The ecu can see knock very well well at top rpms AND it will adjust your ignition down.

I will post examples of this.

Yes you can have the logger as a real time viewer and have it even flash red if it does detect knock.
    Perfect, I'm on it!!!

Which is best version to buy? Iphone or Android? Do I need a sim card in or will it work without?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information