Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,938
    +1
    349

    Question Blinkers and Brake Lights

    So, I just towed the skis and the blinkers and brake lights aren't working. Running lights work. So hooked it up to another vehicle to see if it was the tow vehicle. It was not the vehicle.

    Where do I start?


  2. #2
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    first make sure its not the bulbs in the lights. Then I would be checking wiring. Is the ground run through the trailer frame or a separate wire? I wouldn't suspect ground though if the running lights are working. The 4 way flat plugs have a way of wearing out in a rather short time. Check the plug. Otherwise I would check continuity on the wires between the plug and light socket.

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    So, I just towed the skis and the blinkers and brake lights aren't working. Running lights work. So hooked it up to another vehicle to see if it was the tow vehicle. It was not the vehicle.

    Where do I start?
    Disconnect the hitch coupler, so the trailer frame metal is not touching the tow vehicle ball. No metal to metal contact at all.

    Now plug in just the trailer flat connector. If there is a grounding problem in the wiring it should be more apparent when the trailer frame to tow ball is not providing an alternate ground path.

    It is not unusual for the grounding wire from the flat connector to develop corrosion where the (white?) wire is screwed to the frame. The ground pin on the trailer connector is the oddball pin/contact. The one that is not like the others. Follow that wire to where it connects to the frame.

    On on some trailers the white/ground wire runs all the way to every lamp location. This is actually the better method.

    Edit: If the trailer wire harness has a white/ground wire running to every lamp location then the actual trailer frame may not be connected at all to the wiring.
    Last edited by K447; 04-23-2015 at 08:04 PM.

  4. +1 by:


  5. #4
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,938
    +1
    349
    Okay, it was connected to my truck and didn't work. When we tried it with the wife's truck, we did not put the coupler on the ball. Both trucks are brand new--I'm talking bought hers on the 8th and mine on the 16th. So I'm sure the problem is not the truck(s).

    I'll check the wires and ground(s).

    Thanks!

  6. #5
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    Which plug are you using on your trailer? The 4 way flat or the 7 round? When i switched to a 7 pin round plug on my trailers i followed the diagram on the plug for connecting the wires. Unfortunately the diagram on the plug did not match the wiring on the truck end. Just a thought. Changed the connections in the plug and it worked.

  7. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Okay, it was connected to my truck and didn't work. When we tried it with the wife's truck, we did not put the coupler on the ball. Both trucks are brand new--I'm talking bought hers on the 8th and mine on the 16th. So I'm sure the problem is not the truck(s).

    I'll check the wires and ground(s).

    Thanks!
    Hmmm, as Bryan posted, make sure the truck adapter and trailer connections are actually wired the way they need to be.

    You can buy 'testers' that plug into the truck connector and have LED to show each circuit is working. You may need two, one round tester to fit/check the truck and a flat plug LED tester to check the round-to-flat truck adapter.

    Do you still have the Camaro available to test the trailer with?

  8. #7
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    My truck is a Ram also by the way.....

  9. #8
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,938
    +1
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    Which plug are you using on your trailer? The 4 way flat or the 7 round? When i switched to a 7 pin round plug on my trailers i followed the diagram on the plug for connecting the wires. Unfortunately the diagram on the plug did not match the wiring on the truck end. Just a thought. Changed the connections in the plug and it worked.
    It is a 4-way. And I "think" it worked on the Camaro last time I towed with it. I mean, it had already been pointed out to me that it wasn't working well at night, so I got a "booster" that I never got around to installing.

    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Okay, it was connected to my truck and didn't work. When we tried it with the wife's truck, we did not put the coupler on the ball. Both trucks are brand new--I'm talking bought hers on the 8th and mine on the 16th. So I'm sure the problem is not the truck(s).

    I'll check the wires and ground(s).

    Thanks!
    Hmmm, as Bryan posted, make sure the truck adapter and trailer connections are actually wired the way they need to be.

    You can buy 'testers' that plug into the truck connector and have LED to show each circuit is working. You may need two, one round tester to fit/check the truck and a flat plug LED tester to check the round-to-flat truck adapter.

    Do you still have the Camaro available to test the trailer with?
    Nope. The Camaro is gone. I will be making a thread about it later. I'll name it something about how things didn't go as planned. Be on the lookout!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    My truck is a Ram also by the way.....

  10. #9
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,938
    +1
    349
    Okay, so the trailer is a Triton Elite, 3 years old. It does have the ground wires going to every light. I cannot find anywhere on the frame where it's grounded. Can somebody point me to where it might be? I even removed some of the lights to see if I could find a ground in the area, but no luck.

  11. #10
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee WI
    Posts
    16,708
    +1
    1,324
    I believe there is no ground connection to the frame.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cheech and Chong Light Up America
    By ryanlberg in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 06:19 AM
  2. Jetski Brake And Brake Light System
    By jtskir15f in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 03:20 PM
  3. low fuel and f1 light
    By blu 250x in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
  4. Brake Light Video on our 250Xs
    By kristylynn9598 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 08:58 PM
  5. brake light for the jetski
    By superduty in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 09:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •