Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Crankcase sealant besides Loctite 5910

I'm looking for a crankcase sealant besides the Loctite 5910 to seal my 4 tec. Nobody around here has it, I've heard three bond works too but nobody has that either. Is there any other alternative like permatex or anything?

+1
    Permatex "Right Stuff". A VERY thin layer on one side is all you need. A THIN layer. You don't want that or any sealant gooping into the Case and potentially clogging an oil jet.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-25224...stuff+permatex

3. +1 by:

+1
    Yamabond #4

+1
    How does your dealer not have it??? We stock it..... Only thing we will use...

Yamabond is ok but can make a real mess, very soupy and stringy--shit gets everywhere and is a mess to clean up....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    How does your dealer not have it??? We stock it..... Only thing we will use...

Yamabond is ok but can make a real mess, very soupy and stringy--shit gets everywhere and is a mess to clean up....
    I split the cases on a 4tec block a couple years ago and don't remember it being stringy or messy. As said though, you only need a small coating.

I have been using Threebond 1211 for many years, only thing I will use for case halves. You certainly should be able to order it online in Canada. I shudder at the roller method shown in the manuals for the 5910, and I use a method that is much easier. If you ever go into an automotive engine factory and see how they apply liquid gasket materials using a robot, then this is the same way I do it. I clip a small end of the 1211 tube, and apply a 1/16" bead of it on all the sealing surface areas. When you close the case halves, it spreads itself over the surface. Once you have done this, you know by how much is peeking out the sides how much is correct.

Once you have mastered this method, you will never bother with spreading out sealant with your finger or using the stupid roller method shown in the manuals.

8. +1 by:

+1
    The only thing I've ever used is ultra black to seal cases......never had a problem with it.........Right stuff is good but IMO it sets up way to fast for this particular procedure....

Hondabond, Toyota sealer, all are fine. We use them over many older sealants anymore.

Talked to customer service at Threebond a couple weeks back. They did make the Yamabond up until last year. Now get the Hondabond which is made by Threebond. I forget which Threebond they told me it was (maybe 1198?) but tested against about everything (oil, gas, heat ext.)

I don't believe either Ultra Black or Right Stuff are a good idea for cases. They are too viscous, so you are in grave danger of introducing too much clearance at the case halves, which means less bearing crush, which means greater chance of spun bearings. You should only use a thin sealant (like TB 1211 or Loctite 5910) that is slow-set, so virtually all of it squeezes out.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information