Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 sl780 issues. Please help!!

Ok. Been off of here for awhile but always find great help and info here and back in the jetski world!
    I recently got a 96 sl780. When I first got it and got it running it, all the fuel lines have been replaced and it seems to be a good solid machine, it would rev up fine one time and then the next it would bog, backfire and run poorly, but always starts right up, I put new plugs in, trimmed the plug wires back and disconnected the grey wire in the electrical box, it ran great and then back to very poorly and not revving up again, so I got my volt meter out and after some searching on here I found the specs I needed, the stator all tests out good except the blue/red-red/white I only get 44ohms, it suppose to have 90.
    the coils all have .2-.3 and .5-.6 in a series, all secondary tests show 3.3k. Any help or info would be great. I'm leaning to coils at this point but do not want to just throw parts at it...

+1
    Check spark with a tester. Seems like your stator with a low reading would be the culprit.

How does your compression look? Have you checked piston wash? When were the carbs last rebuilt? Is there any water in the fuel/water separator?

Piston wash looks good, I've worked on 2 stokes for 20yrs,compression is 130 on all 3 cylinders, no water in fuel filter, fresh gas, it fires right up and idles somewhat fine. Spark is there but doesn't seem that strong. I will have to get a spark tester. The 44 ohm reading is in the pulser coil of the stator, the coils also test out at .2 ohms, specs are .6

+1
    Every Polaris Fuji coil that I have ever tested is at .2 - .3, including all 9 in 3 of my running skis. Not going to say it for sure, but I don't think its the coils. I still suspect the stator magneto as it needs to be +/-10%, but just my opinion.......

If you get an inline sealed spark tester, you will be able to see if you lose spark on any cylinder as the motor runs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_20365.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	356485

Ok. Thank you, knowing that more than my coils test low is a plus, I will look for a spark tester and going to look at the stator, after doing some reading on the pulser coil I am leaning towards a stator also...
    Last edited by Dauer33; 04-20-2015 at 10:18 AM.

I talked to ricks performance stator a about my problem, he says it's the hi speed coil that is testing low and that's why it starts and idles fine. I'm in the process of getting the flywheel off, needless to say it's on there pretty good...

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Yes, very loud when they come loose!

New stator and runs great! Now if I want to buy a mfd and tackle that project..

Well it appears my problem is back, it was running the same as beige the new stator so I unplugged the stator and started testing and sure enough the pulser coil only ohms out at 20-30 ohms, is there anything that could cause this to go bad this soon or did I just get a bad one? This ski probably don't have 8hrs on it yet... I got the stator from Martos Motorsports from clear lake mn off of ebay. Has anyone delt with these people before?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dauer33 View Post
    Well it appears my problem is back, it was running the same as beige the new stator so I unplugged the stator and started testing and sure enough the pulser coil only ohms out at 20-30 ohms, is there anything that could cause this to go bad this soon or did I just get a bad one? This ski probably don't have 8hrs on it yet... I got the stator from Martos Motorsports from clear lake mn off of ebay. Has anyone delt with these people before?
    Was the Martos supplied stator a used Polaris OEM part or a new aftermarket part?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information