AWA MEMBER
    +1

How many Rpm's are you running your 2008-2013 SHO on STOCK internals

Opinions on safe boost and RPM level for 2008-2013 SHO STOCK internals only

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I'm running 8500 and a ET18 wheel at 17psi not very many hrs on this tho

+1
    Doesn't the ET18 with stock internals place you into the BOOM!!! region on the chart? Many run the ET18, some run their ski at 8900/9100 with other boost levels, but with either boost or rpm hasn't the probability of a failure been exponentially increased? I'm thinking Gus's detailed build with the 18 boost, 9100 RPM, stock internals and hard use set the upper limit for whats permissible.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    So will or could you have a valve float or a piston let go at anything above 8500 with let's say 15.5 and above? Some say I only ride it a 1/4 mile wide open then let off of it.....will or could a failure occur even under these conditions.......say one day you do your 1/4 mile speed run and motor decides to let go

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDFZS View Post
    So will or could you have a valve float or a piston let go at anything above 8500 with let's say 15.5 and above? Some say I only ride it a 1/4 mile wide open then let off of it.....will or could a failure occur even under these conditions.......say one day you do your 1/4 mile speed run and motor decides to let go
    Honestly, the motor could let go at any time, for any reason, especially once modified. Valve float won't really take a motor out (generally), but any kind of knock (too hot, too much timing, bad gas, etc) could definitely take out a ringland or bend a rod. Generally, an engine is most prone to knock at it's torque peak (so the lowest RPM where we achieve full boost most likely), so I am not really afraid of revving her over 8500. Now a broken valve because of high RPM, that's a big problem.

People generally like to lean on the motor for short bursts because it keeps temps down. Lower temps = less chance of knock or worse...

I run my FZR @ 8400 rpm´s E-tec LB, all stock (pistons, rods and valvetrain) and no RRFPR. Only problem was a cam plug that popped off so i tapped them and problem solved. Would like to see other boost vs. rpms results on stock motors too. Good thread.

+1
    2013 fzr, 100% stock oem motor revving 8600 on et low boost wheel.

+1
    on Saturday while on Jims ride I was turning 8740 with e-1 wheel. All stock internals

+1
    8760 with a ET18 at 20 lbs. of boost. 226 hours on the clock. I know, I know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDFZS View Post
    Honestly, the motor could let go at any time, for any reason, especially once modified. Valve float won't really take a motor out (generally), but any kind of knock (too hot, too much timing, bad gas, etc) could definitely take out a ringland or bend a rod. Generally, an engine is most prone to knock at it's torque peak (so the lowest RPM where we achieve full boost most likely), so I am not really afraid of revving her over 8500. Now a broken valve because of high RPM, that's a big problem.

People generally like to lean on the motor for short bursts because it keeps temps down. Lower temps = less chance of knock or worse...

High RPM is where a rod would likely let go. The SHO in not an interference motor so you should not have to worry about valve float destroying the motor with it striking a piston. The SVHO's need to worry as they can impact and cause damage.

On the High Boost side you need to worry about detonation. So timing and fuel is critical. And since the stock pistons are not forged you run a much higher risk that detonation will cause it to fail. Any Detonation at the top of the power bandon stock pistons will ruin things quickly

On the lower RPM when the TQ comes on its impact is where your stock rods can bend. Those quick WOT bursts put a lot of strain on the internals.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information