2002 Polaris 800i initial power run Fail troubleshooting?

i am also near modesto (well actually Fresno) ...what is the guys name and location that mechs on Polaris'?

2002 Polaris 800i initial power run Fail troubleshooting?

hello everybody,

2002 Polaris 800i and original background is as follows....bought the ski with a no spark issue as is. (Cheap enough to buy it). trouble shot the systems systematically and discovered several things were wrong.....(1st thing that i did was get a fresh and good battery with fresh plugs--"correct plugs- PZFR6H")

1) No Spark...........stator and rotor totally destroyed. mags came off flywheel. starter and bendix look and operate fine, replaced both NOW HAVE SPARK).

2) no fuel pressure......fuel reg fell off into tank, replaced reg and also place in new fuel pump. (Good pressure). also can hear audible sound from fuel pump and see the lines flexing. fuel press gauge is in the mail to verify fuel pressure on start and run. but appears and sounds as if fuel is getting thru.

3) CPS, and TPS both OHM within spec....but on the trailer in the water the idle is rough (not too rough but enough to know something is off). the roughness feels like engine, not shaft or mount wear.

4) excessive oiling aft cylinder, oil pump was not in adjustment ( now in adjustment). seems normal.

5) primary leads out of spec (replaced ignitor)

6) secondary leads (short wire) was out of spec. (replaced short wire)

TRAILER POWER RUN TEST...with the ski on the trailer the ski idles, but throttle response is slow and engine response is sparatic when i apply throttle, almost as if timing if off, but this is a EMM, so does that mean that the EMM is compromised? took the ski off the trailer and no change, ski would "catch up to throttle response" ski would power up onto plane for a second and then back to idle. Reverse operation worked fine, normal lights, MFI blinks and RPMs are limited.

NO MFI warning lights during the run, MFI was operating normal, RPMs, fuel, oil, time, voltage, ect. NO HARD or SOFT lights appeared on MFI.

i also noticed that on the forward cylinder after the trailer run at the shop the spark plug porcelain was cracked and both plugs had equal amount of black soot, not wet but dry black soot. any ideas on this? and why the plug was cracked?

out of ideas and need some help with this....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    TPS cannot be properly tested on the bench. Even if it meters correct it can still be bad when exposed to engine vibrations and heat.

It is common to replace the TPS as there is no workaround for a bad TPS. Having a spare good TPS is not a bad thing.

Once you have a known good TPS if the problem persists then it becomes likely that the EMM needs repair. This is also a common issue, unfortunately.

K447,

spark plug cracking? and sooty deposits? i always take great care with the plugs...or did one get by me on the bench and meet its match with a 22 mm wrench, or is there something more related to that cylinder? does it sound as if the mixture is correct? is that why the oil pump was offset from the mark?

in all fairness there has been a lot of cranking getting the ski to this point and all the oil does seem to be purged from engine and exhaust.

i will source a TPS and check that out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
    K447,

spark plug cracking? and sooty deposits? i always take great care with the plugs...or did one get by me on the bench and meet its match with a 22 mm wrench, or is there something more related to that cylinder? does it sound as if the mixture is correct? is that why the oil pump was offset from the mark?

in all fairness there has been a lot of cranking getting the ski to this point and all the oil does seem to be purged from engine and exhaust.

i will source a TPS and check that out.
    I have never cracked a spark plug in a Ficht engine. Mishandling or over torque would be my initial suspicions.

The Polaris Ficht spark plugs are angled very low over the air intake. Very limited clearance if the flame arrestor cover is in place. It is easy to accidentally apply sideways or vertical force when wrenching on them.

I sometimes use a box end wrench on my spark plug socket (with the foam insert inside to protect the spark plug porcelain) rather than the normal 3/8" ratchet wrench. This gives me more clearance to the cover without removing the cover. Looks something like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MP080175.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	356517

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    I have been using an adjustable wrench on the end of my spark plug socket for that same reason. Just easier than removing the FA cover.

ok...thanks...must have been my fat fingers,or throwing the tool box across the shop. i was just concerned of a detonation or preignition issue, makes me feel better.

Thread Information