+1

Anyone with a Freibe fuel cell?? Have a question

I noticed after my last ride I big puff of positive pressure from the cell and then massive gurgling from within the tank coming from the drain hole. It continued gurgling until the tank drained itself empty into the main tank. Thought it was supposed to fluidly drain into the main tank while riding?? Last fall I noticed the tank wasn't draining at all and it had a big negative pressure when pulling the cap. Come to find out Steve had the hoses backwards when he shipped it to me. Now they are fixed but I seem to have this problem now. The vent line still has the factory check valve up under the handle bars. I believe this valve lets air in but not out. Anyone experience this and is it normal or not?? On long rides I'm afraid I'll need to stop on occasion, crack the Freibe lid to let it drain, then continue riding. Surely nobody does this but I want to check. Thank you

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check the pressure release / vacuum relief check valves. Perhaps something is stuck closed and not allowing the fuel tank(s) to adjust internal air pressures relative to ambient as you consume fuel.
    Last edited by K447; 04-20-2015 at 07:19 PM.

+1
    Thank you for the reply. You make it sound as if there are separate valves. If so can you identify where these are located? I know of one white check valve approximately 6" below handle bars where the vent stubs out of hull. Thanks

+1
    Doing some tinkering in garage it seems to function right. I pulled the vent house off the check valve and indeed you can draw in but not blow out the check valve. I blew hard into the vent line and I heard fuel flowing into the main tank. As soon as I pulled the Freibe fill lid off the pressure came out and fuel flow stopped. Seems right by testing it. Odd...

+1
    Have not had any major issues with mine. Even with just the stock tank I get the pressure build up in the tank, same on the aux. Only time it does not always properly drain into the main tank is when it gets down to half or less and in the really rough stuff. My guess is since there is no baffle in the tank that its sloshing around so much that air is being pulled at times. So it takes longer to drain the aux and the main tank is used up a little before the aux tank is empty.

A baffle an inch or two above the feed hole in the aux tank probably would resolve the sloshing issue, but its not important as it will drain fully before you use up the whole main tank anyway..

Thread Information