Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

ECU tuning R&D & V-Tech

How long has V-tech been in buisness tuning skis in the USA? How long is the riding season to even test tunes in Qatar Sweden etc. or wherever they do it? Can I call them and have someone speak English with support 4 days a week? If I never tuned a ski or anything in my life would V-tech be right for me? How many world titles have been won with v-tech tunes? To the average rider wanting a reflash what the hell does vt11-36-agr-xyz-96357432 mean and is it safe? Thanks.

+1
    yes vtech has its problems, but your not buying a motec
    no caned tune can compare to a tune that you verified your self on your ski with your crapy fuel on your lake
    you can start with a stock tune and tweak it and learn
    if your not up to the task pay someone to tune it
    you will end up with much more than you can get with a caned tune

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by VXRslayer21 View Post
    How long has V-tech been in buisness tuning skis in the USA? How long is the riding season to even test tunes in Qatar Sweden etc. or wherever they do it? Can I call them and have someone speak English with support 4 days a week? If I never tuned a ski or anything in my life would V-tech be right for me? How many world titles have been won with v-tech tunes? To the average rider wanting a reflash what the hell does vt11-36-agr-xyz-96357432 mean and is it safe? Thanks.
    Can you get your vts and gauges to work with r&d?

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    I would choose Vtech over R&D.

1. With VTECH you can see and adjust your own tune.
    2. They do have there own Data logging setup.
    3. The R&D people have not spent enough time tuning seadoo engines to know what they are doing. FYI R&D have not won any world titles with 4 stroke Seadoo's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scantone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VXRslayer21 View Post
    Can you get your vts and gauges to work with r&d?
    Yes took to dealer got the latest BUDS update then got a fresh R3 reflash and it was perfect. All gauges and trim work fine no issues at all.

+1
    I had check engine lights come on, no bottom end power etc etc, r and ds tune was not all that great imo. After sending my computer back 3 times I got rid of it real quick.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Branden View Post
    I had check engine lights come on, no bottom end power etc etc, r and ds tune was not all that great imo. After sending my computer back 3 times I got rid of it real quick.
    Feel good you didn't buy a full athena system…ouch.

+1
    Thanks for the feedback. Not saying one is better than the other just want real experiences because if you search for R&D tunes on the Seadoo side there is little to no info on them like it is for Yamaha. I seem to be the only one besides TroyHEB with a R&D flash and had an issue at first but got is resolved quickly and ski runs great and pulls hard throughout all rpm.

+1
    Agreed, I wont say one is necessarily better than the other and before I decided to flash my ski seemed that the SeaDoo crowed went VTech and Yamaha went R&D so it was very tough to decide on what to go with. I will say my experience after owning both is as follows, but not sure how the R&D stacks up in the SeaDoo world still since there are not many threads or information about it, but many times when something works well, you may not find information on it and sometimes folks keep things that work a secret or keep it to themselves. I do know someone local that has used R&D R3 in a few SeaDoo and has been happy with the results.

R&D R3 and R4 tunes in my FZR. Both had a good fueling curve across the whole RPM range. This allowed us to all easily tune the skis with AFR and RRFPR with boost line connected. Both worked well with different injector sizes depending on setup. Allows us to run 93 pump gas with ET 18 charger at 9200 RPM pushing 24 Lbs boost. Power band was strong throughout. An almost flawless setup and easy to dial in. If it was warm decrease fuel preasure, if it was cold increase fuel pressure. Simple and anyone is able to make sure they are running safe AFR, no special tuning skills needed. Kept things simple. Riva ECU for SeaDoo back in the day used to work in the same way as R&D does for Yamaha today and was a great option, why they didnt carry this out for the Bosch ECU is beyond me.

VTech much more complicated and much more than just a flash and not for everyone (myself included) without the support of others if you do not know how to look at logs, fuel tables, and timing tables. You must buy the tuning credit, tuner, and datalogger to properly tune your ski in. The fuel tables are not clean from idle to wot, meaning it may be lean as hell at idle, ok in mid, but rich as hell up top, so you have to datalog your runs, upload the logs, and try the auto tune and fine tune the fuel tables. And if you dont know what you are doing, you have to seek help from someone that does. This is why it is not ideal to tune the ski in using the regulator which is static, because although you may make one area better, you will make the other area worse. And what happens when the weather changes, you have to do it all over again rather than making a simple adjustment of the regulator. For someone that is looking to get the absolute most out of their setup, has the time and knowledge this setup may be more ideal for them.

Both experiences are night and day from one another and just depends on what the individual is looking to accomplish, how much time they have, and how much tuning experience they have.

If R&D works in a SeaDoo like it does in a Yamaha, my choice all day long would be the R&D flash and may just be the direction I take in the future.

I found this article to be a good read.

http://www.jetskiworld.gr/articlevie...ng.php?id=5751
    Last edited by Gus13letter; 04-22-2015 at 07:26 AM.

+1
    From the beginning i was reading the thread of Gus and i was really close to go to VTECH only for one reason. That you can tune it as you want keeping in mind that you log your ski and you know what you are doing! Since i include myself to the majority of the riders that dont know how to tune i would have gone to Jesus in order to help me showing him ofcourse the log files in order to fix me a program that would fit me better. But after reading Gus thread among others i am a little bit hectic to go and do it. I am not saying that i have excluded it but only i am thinking a lot!

Of course if i could afford it i would have gone MOTEC all the way without thinking anything else! I have spoken to Nills and besides the fact that he replied to me immediately he was very clear how things would work in order to built the perfect tune.Maybe in my next ski!!!!!!!

RD ecu i havent tried althought i use stuff from R&D. What i know by fact is the guys that use here in Greece R&D tunes in yamaha they do not come close to any findings that R&D states meaning always speed. Plus the fact that there are not many Seadoo that run R&D.

So up know i am ok with Rotax although with Vtech or Motec the ski would release more power i believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information