Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Minimum amount of water to run a ski in

So I have a creek behind my house and when it floods it typically gets up to 6ft and at some parts it can be at 2-4ft when flooded. I've seen about 5 other jetskiers go past my house when flooded and was wondering how low the water can be and still be safe to run jetskis in the water.

+1
    They say 3 feet minimum, especially if you are going to pin it. I have been in less than 2 feet for a long time at speed more than once and did not have any problems. I would never stop and try to accelerate in very shallow water. Here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000-islands-low.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	356678

Banned User
    +1
    I believe the jetski are only a 12 inch draft so 2-3 feet at constant speed is no problem. Don't gun it out of the hole with less then 3 feet of water, can be a problem. I would be more concerned of sinking from hitting a rock and cracking open the hull.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bk3262 View Post
    So I have a creek behind my house and when it floods it typically gets up to 6ft and at some parts it can be at 2-4ft when flooded. I've seen about 5 other jetskiers go past my house when flooded and was wondering how low the water can be and still be safe to run jetskis in the water.
    Depends on how you define 'safe'.

Running in shallow water at speed, there is some risk of striking a rock, tree stump or other object, or just hitting the bottom in a shallow spot. In a creek there is also risk of missing a turn and hitting the bank, or striking a tree branch with your head.

I have run at speed in water less than 12 inches deep. This requires staying on the power and well above minimum planing speed. As soon as the hull slows down it settles deeper in the water. I have ridden in water that was so shallow that when I did stop the hull rested on the bottom, not enough depth to even float the hull! Luckily the bottom was soft silt so no damage, but also not possible to just get back on and ride away.

+1
    Not to be a buzz kill or anything because I'd be like you and try it. But over here in NJ every year there is always someone (sometimes a couple per season) that lose it on parts of the intercoastal waterway. Down near Atlantic City and the surrounding area there are a huge amount of channels and passages that you can get lost on for a while. The water can go from a few feet to a few inches without warning. Plus there is the tide to contend with. A passage that you blasted up in the morning can turn into inches at low tide. The skiers like these passages because of the smoothness and speed. The problem is when you're near top speed and the ski stops when it runs aground. Then you only have inches of water to break your fall. I have come off in regular deep water (8ft) on a lake. Luckily I only sprained an MCL in one knee. After I came off I remember kicking my legs to get to the surface and my foot touching a stump on the bottom. That was 8 feet of water...at 8 inches there might as well have been no water! I'm not saying don't do it, because I have always thought how cool it would be too. I'm just saying know the risks and keep yourself safe accordingly.

+1
    Enough to keep the ski afloat?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Not to be a buzz kill or anything because I'd be like you and try it. But over here in NJ every year there is always someone (sometimes a couple per season) that lose it on parts of the intercoastal waterway. Down near Atlantic City and the surrounding area there are a huge amount of channels and passages that you can get lost on for a while. The water can go from a few feet to a few inches without warning. Plus there is the tide to contend with. A passage that you blasted up in the morning can turn into inches at low tide. The skiers like these passages because of the smoothness and speed. The problem is when you're near top speed and the ski stops when it runs aground. Then you only have inches of water to break your fall. I have come off in regular deep water (8ft) on a lake. Luckily I only sprained an MCL in one knee. After I came off I remember kicking my legs to get to the surface and my foot touching a stump on the bottom. That was 8 feet of water...at 8 inches there might as well have been no water! I'm not saying don't do it, because I have always thought how cool it would be too. I'm just saying know the risks and keep yourself safe accordingly.
    Here in PA where the creek is behind my house, it only leads to one place which is the Susquehanna River. There aren't any other channels or branches that the creek splits at and the only concerns I have like you said earlier would be something underwater

+1
    Especially in a flooded flowing creek or river that picks up debris.

+1
    Sounds like fun but also sounds a bit sketchy.

Boost whore
    +1
    heh, if you are going fast enough you need sweet F all water
    fast enough and dont care if you need to replace a wear ring afterwards...

but sometimes you just really need to soak the little Bitch on shore who thinks they are hot shit and poured ice cold water on you earlier
    nothing like a jetpump full of water to the face to show someone whos the man :P

TL;DR
    if you're still floating, it's enough

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information