Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

In need of help on SL 750

Hello all, I'm new to the Hulk. First off, I just bought a 1995 SL 750 and knew it needed a new electric box, I ordered that while I've been waiting on that I decided to clean the carbs and check the Pistons; The carbs are a pain to get off so any suggestions are appreciated.... But now we get to the Pistons, I took of the PTO head and the center and I decided to push down on the PTO piston to see if there where any obvious problems, I found some rust where the Piston was sitting for 2 years... Then when the piston went all the way down it came back up covered with oil... Is that normal? Any help is appreciated!! I'll post pictures tomorrow

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Normally there is no liquid oil in the engine crankcase. Sometimes during storage or after the engine has been flooded with water people will flood the crankcase with oil. That excess oil must be removed before any attempt is made to run the engine.

There are drain plugs very low on the side of the engine, but these are hard to get to. Another method is to remove the entire intake manifold and intake reeds, then you can suction the oil directly out of the crankcase.

With the intake manifold removed you can directly inspect the crankshaft.

Have a look at my signature links for other common items and recommended maintenance.

W

Here's what they look like

Also, can't get carburetors to come off, what's the easiest way to do that?? Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciates!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog1597 View Post
    Also, can't get carburetors to come off, what's the easiest way to do that?? Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciates!
    There are 6 12mm hex nuts holding them on. You must remove these nuts with a 12mm wrench. They are directly under the intake manifold and thread onto studs that hold the carbs to the manifold.

I think I've got a different carburetor setup, all mine are 10mm and the last couple are next to impossible to get to

+1
    I think I've got a different carburetor setup, all mine are 10mm and the last couple are next to impossible to get to
    Those are the bolts holding the intake manifold to the block. You can not see the ones you need to remove without a mirror. You must feel for them...

How many in total?

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    6 total...like BFC said. Look at the carbs and you will see the stud ends, feel around under those. They are a pain because you cannot use a socket or closed-end wrench on them, and if frozen are easy to round off.

If they don't come off easy, I have ground flats on the back of a stubby 12mm and I crank it closed in a vice until I get no play on the stuck nut and then crank on it.

On one ski I did take the whole manifold off instead, as I had 2 of the 12mm nuts that would not come off, but it was even more of a pain than the 12mm nuts. If you do that you will be cranking on those 10mm bolts for forever as a few of the locations limit your arc to only a few degrees.

Name:  mzv8-FToTjUR-_idmGVHJcg.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  12.2 KB

+1
    How many in total?
    6. They thread onto the long studs shown in stimpsonjcat's photo....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information