Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can a weakened battery cause the starter to just spin

Or the cogs to the flywheel bad? Add this problem, to the existing engine problem, with a limited knowledge, is this thing history, on a monetary scale?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A weak battery, unless really super weak, normally will still engage the Bendix gear and attempt to rotate the engine.

If the starter motor just whirs and spins then the Bendix is not working, broken or stripped teeth.

I was afraid, that was what I was hearing, um starter replacement, that a chore, or something you take your time with, you'll get it? Seen something on how to make your own flywheel puller? Hopefully it can be done, without pulling engine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elk river rascal View Post
    I was afraid, that was what I was hearing, um starter replacement, that a chore, or something you take your time with, you'll get it? Seen something on how to make your own flywheel puller? Hopefully it can be done, without pulling engine?
    Starter motor is tucked under the exhaust pipe, hard to get at. Hard to even see what you are doing, let alone get tools on the bolts. Some exhaust versions are easier to work under than others.

The starter is often stuck in place and can require some real force to get it to slide rearwards for removal.

Changing the starter is much easier if you either remove the exhaust or even lift the engine up and out.

However, the Bendix is inside the flywheel housing. Access from the front of the engine. Flywheel must be removed to change the Bendix. Again, easier to do with the engine out.

Edit: As noted by UnityRacing, In-hull flywheel removal is not so bad on a two cylinder engine.
    Last edited by K447; 04-23-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Well, if im going to ever get her on the water, without costing me an arm and a leg, going to have to dive into it myself, so the exhaust will have to come out first. I see four big bolts right away, with water hose going into it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elk river rascal View Post
    Well, if im going to ever get her on the water, without costing me an arm and a leg, going to have to dive into it myself, so the exhaust will have to come out first. I see four big bolts right away, with water hose going into it.
    You do have a service manual for this thing, correct?

Hoping with the smart folks on the sight, along with your link, can get the job done?

+1
    What ski are you working on?

2002 virage I. Really don't want to pull the motor, to get the starter out. Read it can be done, just a pain!

+1
    I would put money on a bad bendix, not a bad starter. This means removing flywheel cover and flywheel to access....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information