2002 Seadoo GTX dying

To start with, I took the ski out 4 time within the past month and a half. It always started from first try and ran great, no issues whatsoever.

Yesterday i took it out and after about a mile of cruising at full throttle it died but started up just fine after that. i kept riding it but later saw about a 5 mph decrease in top speed. then i docked it for a bit and got back on it. Noticed the acceleration decreased and this time it went up to 43 and started dropping slowly. All of a sudden it wouldnt go over 7mph. Since i was quite some ways from where i launched i got a boat to tow me back. half way back i felt a little more response so we unhooked and i took off but still wouldnt go over 25.

Any idea what this could be?

Ski has 129 hours and is in a very very good condition.

+1
    My initial thoughts are something related to the fuel system. My ski had some very strange, but similar symptoms when I had a bad voltage regulator though.

When I bought my GTX, it would die if you tried to pin the throttle. You could give it 80%, and it would run just fine, but would die like it wasn't getting fuel if you opened the throttle any further. One day it wouldn't go over ~25. I could swear the rave valve wasn't opening, but replacing the voltage regulator solved both problems. Last season I had problems reaching top speed, and the ski would die if I took a sharp turn. Replacing the $20 eBay voltage regulator with another one fixed both issues again.

My money is on your voltage regulator.

carb or Di?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy425425 View Post
    My initial thoughts are something related to the fuel system. My ski had some very strange, but similar symptoms when I had a bad voltage regulator though.

When I bought my GTX, it would die if you tried to pin the throttle. You could give it 80%, and it would run just fine, but would die like it wasn't getting fuel if you opened the throttle any further. One day it wouldn't go over ~25. I could swear the rave valve wasn't opening, but replacing the voltage regulator solved both problems. Last season I had problems reaching top speed, and the ski would die if I took a sharp turn. Replacing the $20 eBay voltage regulator with another one fixed both issues again.

My money is on your voltage regulator.
    I will defiantly take a look at that but for me, as long as i gas it, even a little bit, it wont die.

and its DI.

volt meter out the battery while idling/revving...13.5-14.5 is where you want it. Try running on "res". Grey fuel lines still in? remove/clean/install raves...install new sparkplugs

+1
    Very typical symptoms of a plugged fuel filter on the DI. They need changed every 70-80 hours. There are 2 in the tank on the pump and one inline. You need to verify fuel pressure. These DI skis need a minimum of about 105psi to run properly less than 100 and they will hardly idle.

Thread Information