Thread: Couple pump ?'s

+1

Couple pump ?'s

Changing the impeller on my RXT. My manual says torque impeller to 59 ft. lbs. and use anti - sieze on impeller threads. Thought I read something about using loctite on those threads and torquing much tighter?

Also, the grease: is the idea to pack the whole cone solid w/ grease or just put in the 26cc that the book says? Actually it says 26cc in the pump housing and 26cc in the cone- I did notice that my cone wasn't packed solid when I removed it. I'm guessing that the amount of grease is not critical?

I guess the idea is that the grease goes where the heat is when the pump bearings are turning and get heated?

Thanks for the help, Vic

+1
    If you want to lock the impeller onto the shaft so only a blow torch will be able to remove it...use the locktite as was recommended by GP on SD.net. Otherwise use anti-seize on the threads. I don't have the manual handy, but I think the torque is 82 ft lbs.

Richard

+1
    I never measured to see exactly how much 26cc of grease really is, but I would pack the cone almost full (leave enough air space for some expansion) and yes...59 lbs is correct for the prop torque according to the manual. Older doos only neded 52 ft lbs

Richard

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Vic

cone shouldn't be packed solid with grease... somewhere around 3/4 filled up is what you see normally. Alot of guys are switching over to an oil bath type of pump lubrication like the older skis. They like a nice liquidy gear oil sloshin aruond for better lubrication of the bearings.

loctite isn't necessary. We had a whole discussion here about it jsut a couple weeks ago actually. just tighten that sucker up and you are good to go.

you are putting ni the SOLAS rite? it come with the billet nose cone? that sucker is NOTORIOUS for slipping off and riding up the drive shaft. Make sure you get that thing on TIGHT!! some loctite that on there, or silicone, and otehrs get lucky and it doesn't budge.

you winterize already? or you gonna drop the ski in the water for a few minutes and let her rip with this new prop? it's gonna haul ass man, trust me. That Solas is gonna make that RXT pull out of the hole so hard. Since your ski is mostly stock, you MIGHT lose some RPMS up top... that prop is what they sell with the stage one kit which includes the free flow air intake.

+1
    Drop it in the water? What am I a polar bear? We're getting like a foot of snow tonite! I might be crazy- but not as nuts as you Shibzero! lol

No, man- I'm all winterized up. Won't see water till the spring. Looking foward to trying the Solas though.

I gotta give you a call ref. what I'm going to do w/ the SC.

Thanks for the help everyone- lots of different answers coming around on this one- posted on SDN also. Vic

+1
    By the way, it looks as if there was an anti-seize compound on the threads from the factory.

+1
    Shibzero!! ahhahahahaaaaaaaa!

Vman, don't use loc tite on your impeller. Just tighten it properly.

Shibzero!! ahhahahahaaaaaaaa!

And yet another added to the list..That is priceless!... ...PR...

Thread Information