+1

1200 Virage Ficht help please.

A customer brought me this super clean Virage that he traded tree trimming labor for. Supposedly runs but no reverse and flashing red light. Basic initial checks revealed only 30.8 hours on the clock! Compression is 135/130/130. It fired right up and sounds fine. Red light is fuel low and oil low but the oil tank is 1/4 full. Sensor ohms from empty to full as follows...1.2k...152...102....65....32...full. Reverse works just fine with bilge button pressed. Still no worky while running unless bilge is pressed. While running I checked voltage on the LR module. I have 12v on red, 5v on yellow and nothing coming out on orange. I'm guessing the LR module is bad but I thought you get no spark or won't shut off issues when orange won't power up? I went ahead as preventative maintenance and pulled the fuel pump to mod the regulator attaching point with the threaded barb fitting. I'd like to replace the dirty looking disc filter down inside, anybody have that part number?

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like a 2001? What are the last 2 digits on the HIN?

+1
    Pretty sure it's an '01

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    A customer brought me this super clean Virage that he traded tree trimming labor for. Supposedly runs but no reverse and flashing red light. Basic initial checks revealed only 30.8 hours on the clock! Compression is 135/130/130. It fired right up and sounds fine. Red light is fuel low and oil low but the oil tank is 1/4 full. Sensor ohms from empty to full as follows...1.2k...152...102....65....32...full.

Reverse works just fine with bilge button pressed. Still no worky while running unless bilge is pressed. While running I checked voltage on the LR module. I have 12v on red, 5v on yellow and nothing coming out on orange. I'm guessing the LR module is bad but I thought you get no spark or won't shut off issues when orange won't power up? I went ahead as preventative maintenance and pulled the fuel pump to mod the regulator attaching point with the threaded barb fitting. I'd like to replace the dirty looking disc filter down inside, anybody have that part number?
    The Low Oil warning triggers at 1/4 oil level.

Low Fuel triggers at 1/8 level.

Original 2001 LR-505 modules are known to fail. The 5 volts on Yellow is not correct IF the measurement was done with the engine off. Engine off the Yellow should have full battery voltage. So check that first.

I am not aware of a source for replacement internal filters for the Ficht fuel pump. I did see some posts about the pleated bottom ring filter, I forget what the result of that search was.

+1
    This is an LR-503 module and I read voltage while running on yellow at 5v. I don't remember checking yellow while it was not running.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    This is an LR-503 module and I read voltage while running on yellow at 5v. I don't remember checking yellow while it was not running.
    My bad, I was thinking about the carburetor engine, not Ficht.

On Ficht engines Yellow works differently. If the MFI tachometer is displaying the correct RPM but the LR-503 module is not activating the Orange output with full battery voltage then the LR module is likely failed. Alternative explanation is the bilge pump is seized or partly shorted and is pulling the Orange voltage down, but this seems less likely as the fuse would typically blow.

+1
    Yes, tach is working and the bilge works. Found no short to ground and had assumed the LR was faulty. I've found filter/strainer/pump kits but no strainer alone. I'll try the auto parts house but might end up just swishing it around in some acetone to clean it up.

How about that oil sender ohms readings? They look ok?

Thread Information