+1

Fiberglass? Hull repair epoxy vs polyester.

hey I was going to touch up a small damaged area on the bottom of my stxr. It was previously recounted with what appears to be a gel coat but I wanted to do it nicer. I sanded the area down and it's gray in some areas and glass like in other small areas.

My question is what I'd the stxr hull made of?

I see comments on polyester vs epoxy resin and I'm not sure what to use to repair it correctly.

Thanks!

Depends on how big the area thats damaged. Honestly i use marine tex on both my stxr and ultra 150 to clean up the bottoms

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamescmei View Post
    hey I was going to touch up a small damaged area on the bottom of my stxr. It was previously recounted with what appears to be a gel coat but I wanted to do it nicer. I sanded the area down and it's gray in some areas and glass like in other small areas.

My question is what I'd the stxr hull made of?

I see comments on polyester vs epoxy resin and I'm not sure what to use to repair it correctly.

Thanks!
    This will need to be verified but the top deck is "SMC" or Sheet Molded Compound while the bottom is Epoxy based fiberglass to the best of my knowledge.

Sean

+1
    Hmmm doing the work I would have thought the opposite. The top seems like fiberglass and the bottom like SMC. I was going to use marine tex but from my understanding gel coat cannot be applied over it. I used epoxy...it seems epoxy works on all applications? ....I hope.

Once you put the marine tex why would you want to gel coat over it? Marine tex drys harder then gel coat

Epoxy resin sticks onto poly resin, but you cannot put poly over epoxy. SMC is like a bumper on a car. Glass with either and repair pops off like trying to glass over a tupper ware bowl. I have been through hell and back on a GP 1200 smc hull. Lord Fusor makes a structural adhesive, compound for car bumper repairs that finally lasted our abusive river- rock hopping riding style. I suspect Marine Tex is similar and cheap for small nicks.

+1
    The epoxy resin will be fine. All the standup guys chopping and modding skis use epoxy.

Thread Information