Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prepping my ski for summer, any advice?

Hey guys, I want to begin prepping my ski for the summer, my ski only has 6 hours on it, got it new end of last summer and the only thing i did to winterize it was to pull the battery and store it in a heated garage. Now that its almost time for summer, what all do i need to do besides making sure the battery is charged and putting it back in before putting it into the water?

thanks!

+1
    Well if winterize it dewinterize it run it on the hose to burn the fogging oil and put new spark plugs in....and if you didn't change the oil and oil filter,change it....

How important is the oil and filter? the ski only has 6 hours on it. the only thing i did to "winterize" it was to take out the battery and put store it in a heated garage

+1
    Is recommended to change the oil and oil filter when put away for a season............oil gets moister when it gets hot....

+1
    Oil typically will burn off condensation/moisture when it reaches ~180f. But the filter is probably getting soggy & will be less effective. You dont want it to break down/fall apart.
    Get familiar w/ the ski & just change the oil. It's way too new to take any chances.

Do a once over on hose clamps, etc Grease any areas like the cables, stem, etc & put a nice coat of wax on it.
    Did you use a fuel stabilizer? If not, you'll probably be ok but a bottle of K100 couldnt hurt either.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by truwrxtacy View Post
    Hey guys, I want to begin prepping my ski for the summer, my ski only has 6 hours on it, got it new end of last summer and the only thing i did to winterize it was to pull the battery and store it in a heated garage. Now that its almost time for summer, what all do i need to do besides making sure the battery is charged and putting it back in before putting it into the water?

thanks!
    In the future, you really need to use fuel stabilizer in your ski if you are storing it for long periods of time. I would hate to see the fuel go bad and cause damage when it can be prevented for just a few dollars.

thanks for all the info guys, so i ended up taking it to a yamaha dealer and doing the 10 hours service plus oil change. they charged me $300 including parts. As far as the fuel stablizer goes, I was told i either fill up the tank at the end of summer and put in stabilizer or run it almost empty and then keep it empty and fill it with fresh gas beginning of summer. I filled it with a fresh tank of 91 before dropping it off at the dealer for the service

Tru ...what kind of ski? Doesn't say in your info block.

does it call for 87 or 91 octane?

+1
    A full tank reduces air, that's the problem. (A good thing)
    less air=Less condensation.
    Stabilizers prolong fuel life, absorbtion of water and prevent fuel separation etc.
    cheap insurance that works.

10. +1 by:

gotcha, i'll do the full tank with stabilizer this winter instead of an empty tank than

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information