Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Which wetsuit thickness?

I've never owned a wetsuit before, but thinking I should get one Sou can start riding!
    I plan on starting in the bay to learn the ski and get use to the water. These are current temps for the bay.

Water: 51
    air: 40

What thickness should I look at, and short or long? Any advice would be greattttt!

+1
    I wear a 2mm suit when the water is low 50's but air temp is high 60's/low 70's.

+1
    3/2 Full suit I don't think will be warm enough. Probably 4/3

In the winter I was out when it was 50 air which is dam cold for us water 55. I was fine in the 3/2 but did everything I could not to get any splash on me

Banned User
    +1
    Depending on your tolerance for cold a 3/2 may be enough. With temps that cold you definitely want a suit with sealed seams. The 40 degree air may make you need a 5/4 or even thicker.

+1
    I'm wearin my 5/4 O'Neill mutant (w. hood), 7mm boots and 5mm gloves. Depending on the wind I wear my Slippery float coat instead of my PFD.

First realize that the thicker it is, the less mobility you'll have. Plus, if you're riding a couch then you won't be IN the cold water much, so that leaves mostly wind chill and occasional spray of water. Also, in winter, the only thing that really gets cold is your hands and feet, so be more concerned with keeping them warmer...leaving more logic that your actual suit may not need to be so thick.

I suggest a 2mm suit. Mine is a 2-piece, 2mm Oneill set ---> long leg/tank top piece with a long sleeve jacket to go with it. I'm perfectly fine all winter except for my hands and feet suffering after a short while.

You also need to shop the brands you're considering locally, then find/purchase what you want online, since the stores are less likely to have exactly what you want. The brands fit differently, so it's worth fitting them locally.

edit: what city are you riding in (full temp range?)?

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    sorry man, with those temps - I'm kikin back with a hot rum.

If you must tempt hypothermia and/or frost bite I'd say at least a 5/4 Jon/jacket combo: that'd give you 9 over yoour chest...

+1
    Oniel boost dry suit. About $300 bucks and it will keep you dry and warm. In any condition from 40s and 50s down to ice in the water. Much more mobile and much easier to move around in than a wet suit.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    First realize that the thicker it is, the less mobility you'll have. Plus, if you're riding a couch then you won't be IN the cold water much, so that leaves mostly wind chill and occasional spray of water. Also, in winter, the only thing that really gets cold is your hands and feet, so be more concerned with keeping them warmer...leaving more logic that your actual suit may not need to be so thick.

I suggest a 2mm suit. Mine is a 2-piece, 2mm Oneill set ---> long leg/tank top piece with a long sleeve jacket to go with it. I'm perfectly fine all winter except for my hands and feet suffering after a short while.

You also need to shop the brands you're considering locally, then find/purchase what you want online, since the stores are less likely to have exactly what you want. The brands fit differently, so it's worth fitting them locally.

edit: what city are you riding in (full temp range?)?
    Its not about being comfortable on the seat, its about being adequately protected if you should unexpectedly end up in the water. This is safety gear, not comfort gear.

I wear 5mm gloves which keep my hands warm. 7mm boots. 7mm full suit with a base layer underneath. Yes i sometimes get very warm on the seat, then i just get wet to cool off. Riding is much more fun when there is no fear of getting wet. Sometimes a splash of 35 degree water in the face is kind of refreshing.

[/QUOTE]Its not about being comfortable on the seat, its about being adequately protected if you should unexpectedly end up in the water. This is safety gear, not comfort gear.

I wear 5mm gloves which keep my hands warm. 7mm boots. 7mm full suit with a base layer underneath. Yes i sometimes get very warm on the seat, then i just get wet to cool off. Riding is much more fun when there is no fear of getting wet. Sometimes a splash of 35 degree water in the face is kind of refreshing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for straightening me out dad. But you're way up in WI, how cold is your water and air get (in the freak'n teens and worse?)? This guy stated water temps of low 50s and air at 40 (pretty manageable for those who want to ride). Ive ridden in winter time (never winterized my skis) for a total of 11-12yrs.
    If you end up in the water for being extra careless (pretty damn hard to fall off stable, 900lb couches today), then you simply get back on before actual hypothermia sets in
    Yes, watercraft wetsuits are designed and marketed for such things as comfort (so why not shop for comfort??)...who wants to wear some stiff scuba suit (if they don't HAVE to) while in riding position on watercraft in 50* water they're not even swimming in?
    Yes, my *2mm, two-piece* is plenty sufficient for water in the 50s and air in the 40s (that's my range down here in the southern states that match his weather criteria...Math: 2mm X's 2 = 4mm around my torso.
    And as I already admitted, I only struggle to keep my hands and feet warm on the worst days of my temp range (simply my fault for not proactively shopping enough yet). But I've never stopped riding because my 2mm suit/jacket were allowing my torso/core temps to freeze me.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information