+1

I bought a real rough FZR and have a cooling question.

Ran across a stock 2010 FZR w/245 hrs. Very rough on the outside, cosmetic damage, seat tear, deep hull scratches and the guy was trying to mod it and messed up some stuff, had the engine half apart and couldn't finish it. I couldn't start it, but the engine turned over and SC clutch acted okay, so despite the wife giving me the evil eye I took a gamble and threw out I'd give him 3k. I was shocked he took it, now I was really worried.

First job was to see if I could get it running and put my mine to rest that the engine wasn't trashed. I put the intake manifold back on (he was trying to do the ribbon delete). My nephew had an SVHO IC so I threw that on as well. (routed the two outlets into one factory pisser) He had the entire exhaust system, manifold to muffler off. I put everything back to stock and put the exhaust back on. After checking wiring, the fuel, changing the oil and everything else I could think of hit the button and to my relief it fired it up. It seems to run okay, no cooling hooked up so I couldn't run it for long.

I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the cooling system he altered some stuff. The factory flush hose and that 4 way connector is gone along with the all factory siphon bilge pump parts. He plugged the bilge siphon tube in the pump and added a aftermarket strainer. The extra outlet on the strainer has a 3/8 hose fitting and a line to the 3/8 transom fitting that was the bilge. So the factory 1/2" water line is inside the hull and a new 3/8" water line coming from the bilge fitting. (I get what he was trying to do, we used to do that to our Wave Raiders to get duel cooling) Update: I just noticed that the bilge fitting on the inside of the transom plate is 1/2". So it's 3/8" on pump side and 1/2" on enging side, strange, maybe it has something to do with the siphon action of the system.

The electric bilge pump works and I never use a flush hose, so I'm not going to worry about that stuff for now. I was going to just run one hose to the engine and one to the IC, but which one to which one? I remember the factory 4 way splitter had a big restriction, but I don't remember which line was restricted. I would imagine the 3/8" line would be enough for the engine cooling considering the factory 1/2" line fed the engine and IC. If I did that, then the 1/2" line could be used for the IC. Is that right?
    Last edited by Baja FZS; 04-24-2015 at 03:22 PM.

+1
    I would order the fitting he removed & plug the outlet to the IC. Hook up the flush. Run the 3/8" line to the IC. Use the 1/2" line for the engine, oil cooler & electrics cooling with factory routing. You can find plumbing diagrams if you search.

+1
    you will find all the plumbing drawings on here look in the oem parts finder and its there.

+1
    I know how the stock plumbing runs and I'm not looking to order parts, I'm looking to test things out on the water.

I have two incoming water lines; one the stock 1/2" line and one a line that for part of it is 3/8". I'm running one to the IC and one to the original engine feed line. Which one would you put where?

With two lines both engine and IC will be getting more water, question is which needs more IC or engine.

+1
    I already said above.... 3/8" line to the intercooler! 1/2" to the engine. You need more water to cool the engine, oil cooler and electrics. If you send to much water flow to the IC, it won't absorb the heat!!!!!!... The cool water needs contact time with the IC to absorb the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside518 View Post
    I already said above.... 3/8" line to the intercooler! 1/2" to the engine. You need more water to cool the engine, oil cooler and electrics. If you send to much water flow to the IC, it won't absorb the heat!!!!!!... The cool water needs contact time with the IC to absorb the heat.
    3/8" to the IC????? That's tiny. Factory doesn't even use that.

OP just buy the factory plumbing with fittings. Or fittings and buy your own hose. Can't go wrong.

Thread Information