+1

Few questions - answers?

Hey,

So I took the advice and have read the manual.. just once so far, will read it a few more times. I have a few questions though. I haven't put my ski in the water yet, as I still have to take the safety course, and waiting for a bit more warmth.

1) Besides making sure every nut, bolt and clamp is tight, and going over the iBR ORV, what else should I do or learn before hitting the water? I'm also looking into a bilge pump.

2) How long can I run the ski off a garden hose? If I'm not mistaken, I think somewhere it said 5 mins.. or no? as mentioned in another post, when I picked it up, the engine didn't start right away, and the guy said the fuel lines still have air. would it be safe to run it for a few mins with the garden hose in to get the air out?

3) After using in salt water, besides flushing and spraying the inside with fluid film, and hosing the outside of it down, what else should be done to keep it in pristine condition?

4) Tell me what else I should know/learn/do

Yes, the shop manual.. I'll be looking at that as well.

Thanks all!

+1
    I would only run it on the hose long enough to flush it and no more
    a big rookie mistake is to leave the hose flowing when the motor is off and it can be a expensive mistake

+1
    i only let mine run on the hose for a max of 2-3 min, no longer than that. The carbon ring has no lubrication

+1
    I took out the ski yesterday for the first time and had a blast!

I wanted to ask, when spraying the inside of the bilge/engine, do you have to wait to cool down?

Also, in the manual, it states first oil change at 50 hours. I have read some people do one at the 10 hour mark. Should I do a 10 hr change or 50 hr?

+1
    when i get my ski out of the water and back home, i wash the out side and all that stuff, by that time the motor has usually cooled down and i hose the shit out of my compartment and damn near fill the back of the ski up. I then vacuum it all out with a wet vac. My ski has 130 hrs on it and you could eat off my motor. I generally wont get to crazy if i am in fresh water, but the days i am in the salt i definitely go nuts cleaning the ski.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Branden View Post
    when i get my ski out of the water and back home, i wash the out side and all that stuff, by that time the motor has usually cooled down and i hose the shit out of my compartment and damn near fill the back of the ski up. I then vacuum it all out with a wet vac. My ski has 130 hrs on it and you could eat off my motor. I generally wont get to crazy if i am in fresh water, but the days i am in the salt i definitely go nuts cleaning the ski.

I'll be riding in salt water everyday. What kind of stuff do you use to clean the outside? I picked up some boat soap from west marine for the mean time.

Also, are you using anything for the inside, or just water? I used fluid film, and have been told to get a salt away kit for flushing as well.

+1
    i am anal with mine, but i use a marine type soap, and use a spray wax after every ride. for the inside of the hull i will use dawn dish soap every couple rides nothing fancy.

+1
    Do you use some sort of attachment for the dish soap that hooks up to the hose?

Thread Information