2012 FXHO Aux Fuel Mod

Hello, I have a 2012 FXHO naturally aspirated ski that I have added an auxiliary fuel tank to. I put the aux fuel tank on the back. Ran the breather/check valve to the top of the aux fuel tank, and then the output of the aux fuel tank into the breather barb on the main tank. Works great to add 18 gallons of fuel capacity. Only one problem- after I run maybe 30-50 miles nonstop, if you kill the engine, it doesn't want to start. If I crack open the main fuel cap to reduce vacuum or pressure, it will then start. It happens consistently and is a little concerning when I'm 30miles offshore. At first I thought it was vaporlock, but now I have no idea as it was a cold day when it happened yesterday. Any ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Thanks, Pete

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-01 19.24.43.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	357148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-01 19.23.01.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	357149

There should be positive pressure on the tank not negative. I would Check your lines and check valve.

Siesta Key, Fl
    When it happens, open the fill on the aux tank. Does that solve the issue? If opening the aux tank solves it then its from the aux breather to the factory breather line that you need to look into. If it does not solve it and then opening the main tank solves it then its an issue between the factory tank and the aux tank.

Ok, good point. I will figure out a way to vent the aux tank when this happens to see which side of the system is the culprit. Thanks for the help!

Ok, so I think this is the problem- The fuel lines are running too low in the hull. Once the aux tank runs out, air is pulled into the fuel line to the main tank. Then the remaining fuel has to be pulled uphill a foot or two to get rid of the airlock- too much vacuum to pull to clear the lines to get air from the breather. It starves the injectors.

Thread Information