Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

help from people who use beach carts

So I us my 2 year old seadoo a lot in the summer months and I store it on my beach cart on the beach. it has polyethylene bunks on it Like the plastic wood decks. So it wearing on the hull a lot. down to the fibreglass in some spots. thinking about maybe putting carpet on the bunks. That's all I can think of. has anybody else done anything different??
    I still need it to be slippery so I can slid it off in the water.
    I'm afraid carpet would attract sand and scratch the hull.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3896.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	357161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3897.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	357162

Carpet will do fine.

+1
    okay will I covered the bunks with carpet so I guess ill see how it holds up over a summers use. I thought about rollers but i'm not sure how it would work going over the bumpy sand at speed.

thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3931 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	358252

+1
    so i paid to get the gel coat damage fixed last year. (looked like new again)
    wore down do the fiberglass again by the end of last summer even with the carpet on the bunks.
    I did the gel coat repairs myself this time.

anybody have another ideas to prevent this? or am i just going going to have to do gel coat repairs ever spring?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6809.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	388000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6810.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	388001  

+1
    Try some of that liquid roller stuff or some sort of silicon spray to help it slide and reduce friction. Other then that you might want to replace the bunks with something wider to help spread the weight.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by seawave View Post
    So I us my 2 year old seadoo a lot in the summer months and I store it on my beach cart on the beach. it has polyethylene bunks on it Like the plastic wood decks. So it wearing on the hull a lot. down to the fibreglass in some spots. thinking about maybe putting carpet on the bunks. That's all I can think of. has anybody else done anything different??

How are you launching and recovering? Are you using a winch to pull the hull onto the cart?

Is the cart exposed to weather, wind and sand while it is sitting on the beach with the ski on it?

How long are the bunk boards on the cart?

Are the bunk ends rounded or beveled under the carpet at the end where the hull loads onto the bunks?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    Try some of that liquid roller stuff or some sort of silicon spray to help it slide and reduce friction. Other then that you might want to replace the bunks with something wider to help spread the weight.
    i forgot to add that i sprayed the carpets with mary kate liquid rollers

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

How are you launching and recovering? Are you using a winch to pull the hull onto the cart?

Is the cart exposed to weather, wind and sand while it is sitting on the beach with the ski on it:
    I roll it down into the water to when its about 2-3 of water and lift up on the front of the cart and it slides off pretty easy.
    to recover i leave the ski in the water and winch it on to the cart and the cart gets pulled under it. i have seen some people beach the ski then winch it on, but i feel like that would have so much friction on the bunks.
    yeah the cart spends may-October on the beach but the carpet is usually pretty sand free. (I clean them periodically)
    i cant figure out if the damage is happening when i'm loading it or unloading it.

+1

Is the cart exposed to weather, wind and sand while it is sitting on the beach with the ski on it:
    I roll it down into the water to when its about 2-3 of water and lift up on the front of the cart and it slides off pretty easy.
    to recover i leave the ski in the water and winch it on to the cart and the cart gets pulled under it. i have seen some people beach the ski then winch it on, but i feel like that would have so much friction on the bunks.
    yeah the cart spends may-October on the beach but the carpet is usually pretty sand free. (I clean them periodically)
    i cant figure out if the damage is happening when i'm loading it or unloading it.
    2 to 3 feet of water depth for unloading? I would imagine that the hull and beach cart would be completely floating in three feet of water depth. Is that what is happening?

Same depth for loading, where the cart slides under the still floating hull, or is the winch pulling the hull up out of the water as you crank it on?

+1

2 to 3 feet of water depth for unloading? I would imagine that the hull and beach cart would be completely floating in three feet of water depth. Is that what is happening?

Same depth for loading, where the cart slides under the still floating hull, or is the winch pulling the hull up out of the water as you crank it on?
    yes with the balloon tires it really floats the cart and pushes on the hull. for example in 3 feet of water when the cart is off the lake bottom floating with the ski on top of it i cant push the ski off i have to lift up on the long tongue of the cart to get the ski to slid off.
    when loading at the same depth for the most part the hull stays in the water and the carts gets pulled under when im winching it on, some times not even touching the wheels on the lake bottom. I have tried loading it in shallower water where the wheels are touching the ground and pulling the hull up and out of the water but it takes a lot more effort on the winch to pull it in so i dont really ever do it that way.

+1
    I do not use a beach cart myself, so take my comments with that in mind.

Regarding the beach cart floatation;

Perhaps adding some sort of dense weight attached/hanging from the beach cart axle would reduce the cart flotation and allow to cart to not push up so strongly under the hull.

I do not know how much weight would be required but it could be well over 100 pounds.

Or change the cart tires to something that is not the flotation type, perhaps solid rubber tires or maybe more traditional trailer tires with steel rims (although they still have air inside and do float, just not as much).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information