Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 SeaDoo XP starting issues HELP!

I am at my wit's end. I purchased a 1996 Sea Doo XP from a family member 4 years ago that I THOUGHT was in great shape.

One rebuilt engine later... I am still working on it. When I brought it home last year, the drive shaft was spinning inside the PTO. Out of the blue, on the water it's like it just stripped out. This spring, I thought I would get a head start and pulled out my ski last week to have a look.

I thought I would try to turn it over first. However... no luck at all.

Battery was brand new last year and put brought inside and kept on trickle charge. Hooked it back up and I get two beeps, but nothing. Starter will not turn AT ALL.

I have thoroughly read the shop manual and have a few questions.

1) black electrical box next the battery at rear of ski... Is the the MPEM? if not, where is it?
    2) 15 amp fuse in the above mentioned box is good, but the one next to it looks like it never was there at all.
    3) What is the location of the solenoid and 5 amp fuse mentioned in the manual? Is this somewhere in the box at the front of the ski?

My children love this ski and I cannot afford to buy a new one. I am doing my very best to make it run and enjoy it as cheaply as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Jacob
    Temple, GA

+1
    Let me start by saying that I do not have an XP. That being said, maybe I can steer you in the right direction. The solenoid will be between the main red battery cable and the cable that runs to the starter. You should be able to find it by tracing the wires. 5amp fuse may be mounted with it. To test, remove the small wire and connect a multi-meter. With lanyard inserted press start button and look for power. If nothing, then you have a fuse, mpem or start button issue. If you have power then carefully bridge the 2 big lugs on the solenoid and see if the starter spins. If it does, you have a bad solenoid.

Okay. I think I know where it might be then. From the battery, the red cable goes to a black box nearby. This black box has 2 red and 2 black cables. One of the red comes from the battery and the other goes to the starter. I have good voltage going into the box, but I cannot seem to get a voltage reading at the starter. This leads me to believe I am losing the voltage in the box. Inside the box, both red cables attach to something I THINK might be a solenoid. It is what I would describe as "big lugs" for sure. I will try your test this afternoon and get back to you. Thanks for the advice!

By the way, shouldn't I be able to read 12 volts at the starter when the start button is pressed or am I wrong?

Jacob

Okay...
    This afternoon I jumped from one side of solenoid to other and the ski turned over a bit. Checking voltage this is what I found:

1- Battery voltage is present coming into solenoid
    2- checking the yellow wire with red stripe and the black wire I have battery voltage there too. This is with me touching the leads to the pins in the plug that goes to the back of the solenoid. The schematic shows that the yellow with red comes from the switch I think.
    3- When I test the same wires coming into the box (yellow with red stripe and both black grounds on the plug) I was able to push the leads down into the back of the plug and I read battery voltage there too.
    4- Ohm meter on the solenoid jumps around a bit but was staying about 6 or 7 on average.

Thoughts?

+1
    If you jump the twin lugs in the box on the eels and it turns over its the relay . If still nothing , bad starter or ground or both .

M

Just replaced the solenoid and that was it. Now I am having issues with getting the DESS to beep properly. First, no beeps, finally 2 beeps then it turned over. Tried again several times and couldn't get it to beep again. Any ideas?

+1
    Dss post going bad or the key itself

Can I replace just the key or should I look at replacing both? Don't they have to be programmed?

+1
    Yes and yes. You can test the dss post too

How do I go about testing them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information