Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: A bit rough.

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Mohave County, AZ
    Posts
    155
    +1
    2

    A bit rough.

    I got my 93 SL750 put back together fuel pump is pumping. I did the water test and oh, so much better than last! I adjusted the idle and she held without dying. Oh, so happy! But, a new issue arose. If I held the throttle at 50% too long it would lose fuel, I know cause I have a clear line to the FP. And if I went WOT she'd lose fuel, there would be no fuel to the FP then a gush of fuel would flow. After I figure it's done for the test I pull out of the water and turn it on and went WOT just give l fine but not in water. *sigh* OK, I took it home pulled the plugs, they were a bit light, and definitely dry. Too lean? What adjustments and where should I make them should I do? I also pulled wires while ON water and she held. I'm proud of my girl but I know I need some tuning.


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Did you replace the fuel selector valve?

    Were the fuel hose pieces inside the fuel tank replaced?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Mohave County, AZ
    Posts
    155
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Did you replace the fuel selector valve?

    Were the fuel hose pieces inside the fuel tank replaced?
    But of course. All lines have been addressed. She was just, rough, I'm not sure if maybe she was low on fuel, the gas gauge said E and I'm not sure if it works or not. But it WAS pulling fuel, I'm not sure if I have enough to do WOT. Though, shouldn't fuel be fuel, be I idle or WOT, it should just pull? There are no clunks of debirs in the 2nd fuel filter. I did see both spouts spit fuel. But it was as if she'd use what was in the lines and then suddenly gasp for more. I'm not sure maybe my carbs need a bit more fine tuning or if something else could be a cause.

  4. #4
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Did you check your tank vents? You can try cracking the gas cap while testing to see if venting is an issue. If the tank vents don't function properly, negative pressure will build in the tank and keep the pump from drawing fuel. Sounds like this may be happening...

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Mohave County, AZ
    Posts
    155
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Did you check your tank vents? You can try cracking the gas cap while testing to see if venting is an issue. If the tank vents don't function properly, negative pressure will build in the tank and keep the pump from drawing fuel. Sounds like this may be happening...
    Hmmm. Fair enough, I didn't update to the 94+ style so I'll give her enter l another try with the cap off.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Mohave County, AZ
    Posts
    155
    +1
    2
    Alright, I went ahead put some more gas in, 89 octane I popped off the gas cap and still did the same thing for a bit. I WAS able to go WOT and hold without it dying. I pulled my plugs and they are light and dry, I think too lean. TO me I think the ski is running a bit rough, though gets worse if I pull plugs. I'm content for now, though, how do I richen the mixture? I rather a bit rich than lean. Also, on the upper adjustments, on the carbs facing the rear, they only move in a half circle, is there any way to adjust them really? I have all the T handle ones (faceing the front of the ski) at 1/2 out. I think my adjustments are off. I do plan on upgrading the ventilation on the ski for the gas tank. She is getting closer to being on the water.

  7. #7
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Octoarms View Post
    Alright, I went ahead put some more gas in, 89 octane I popped off the gas cap and still did the same thing for a bit. I WAS able to go WOT and hold without it dying. I pulled my plugs and they are light and dry, I think too lean. TO me I think the ski is running a bit rough, though gets worse if I pull plugs. I'm content for now, though, how do I richen the mixture? I rather a bit rich than lean. Also, on the upper adjustments, on the carbs facing the rear, they only move in a half circle, is there any way to adjust them really? I have all the T handle ones (faceing the front of the ski) at 1/2 out. I think my adjustments are off. I do plan on upgrading the ventilation on the ski for the gas tank. She is getting closer to being on the water.
    Remove the blue caps on the high screws. They will pull off with a pair of needle nose pliers. then you need a small flat screwdriver to adjust them.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Mohave County, AZ
    Posts
    155
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Octoarms View Post
    Alright, I went ahead put some more gas in, 89 octane I popped off the gas cap and still did the same thing for a bit. I WAS able to go WOT and hold without it dying. I pulled my plugs and they are light and dry, I think too lean. TO me I think the ski is running a bit rough, though gets worse if I pull plugs. I'm content for now, though, how do I richen the mixture? I rather a bit rich than lean. Also, on the upper adjustments, on the carbs facing the rear, they only move in a half circle, is there any way to adjust them really? I have all the T handle ones (faceing the front of the ski) at 1/2 out. I think my adjustments are off. I do plan on upgrading the ventilation on the ski for the gas tank. She is getting closer to being on the water.
    Remove the blue caps on the high screws. They will pull off with a pair of needle nose pliers. then you need a small flat screwdriver to adjust them.
    Alright now, I pulled the caps off and adjusted the uppers, and boy, does she sound different! Sounds a bit healthier and when I pulled any one single wire it didn't die. I did WOT on land, no issues, and she didn't just flat die like prior (WOT to Idle= stall out). I went and checked the plugs, darker, not so light brown and lean. A bit wet, but richer means I won't blow a hole in the piston. Another water test coming up! I did adjust the carbs a bit more than stock, but that goes back to the better rich than lean.

  9. #9
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Sounds like you are getting there..... You may find that going up a jet size or two on the high speeds is what you really need to do....

  10. #10
    Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    3,350
    +1
    26
    Did you upgrade your fuel pump to the higher volume 780 style pump?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A bit rough.
    By Octoarms in forum Polaris Projects
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-04-2015, 11:48 AM
  2. Riva Wedge, is it good for rough water or for calm ??
    By rxp_boy in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 03:38 PM
  3. Rough water hull cracking?
    By 01xdime in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 11:47 AM
  4. Rough Water Closed Course Racing
    By johnD in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 08:12 PM
  5. Roughly how much is a brand new 4tec SC motor?
    By Jeff C in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 09:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •