Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Upgrade to '11 Drive Shaft on '10 RXT-X

Hey guys, I guess my drive shaft carbon ring failed this weekend. Ski was fine half the day, then when docked took on a ton of water. Had a portable bilge pump, removed the water and it was pouring in at the drive shaft hull penetration. This is on a '10 and it seems mis-alignment and shaft problems are common. If I'm going to fix this, I guess upgrading to the '11 would be the right thing to do. Looking for a little advice on what all I need to do it right. Parts #22-29 of the '11 model are needed as far as I can tell (about $480), but I'm not sure where to get the alignment tools and shims? I also need to DL a service manual, where would the best place to DL that be? I'm sure once I read the manual, it will all make sense. Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated...

EDIT: Look like I also need part #s 49-51; Ball Bearing w/ Bellows.
    Last edited by strubby; 04-27-2015 at 09:50 AM.

+1
    After finding the parts needed for alignment and cost, I may get some prices from a dealer. I'm afraid they won't do everything right for the '11 shaft conversion and alignment. What questions should I ask? Called a dealer nearby and he wants to see the ski, didn't seem all too familiar with the '11 conversion or what all was needed. That scares me. My local dealer is closed today, but they do have a PWC water tank on-site, other than that I'm not sure if they're any more competent. Sounds like it needs to be done right to last.

+1
    If you are I Florida take it to route one motors sports In grant they quoted me like 650 for the parts and labor they will do it right

+1
    Did you get the '11 conversion done? For that price I would definitely have it done. They are about 1.5hrs away but worth it to know it's done right. I will call them.

+1
    Yea they are great people I had it done to my 2009 gtx

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadoo112 View Post
    Yea they are great people I had it done to my 2009 gtx
    Just give them a call and get a quote over the phone ask for parts the owner wil is really cool

+1
    They're going to call me back with exact price for all the parts and labor but knew exactly what I needed done so that's a big plus. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I'll update when I hear back.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by strubby View Post
    They're going to call me back with exact price for all the parts and labor but knew exactly what I needed done so that's a big plus. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I'll update when I hear back.
    ok sounds good

+1
    Hey guys, I guess my drive shaft carbon ring failed this weekend. Ski was fine half the day, then when docked took on a ton of water. Had a portable bilge pump, removed the water and it was pouring in at the drive shaft hull penetration. This is on a '10 and it seems mis-alignment and shaft problems are common. If I'm going to fix this, I guess upgrading to the '11 would be the right thing to do. Looking for a little advice on what all I need to do it right. Parts #22-29 of the '11 model are needed as far as I can tell (about $480), but I'm not sure where to get the alignment tools and shims? I also need to DL a service manual, where would the best place to DL that be? I'm sure once I read the manual, it will all make sense. Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated...

Definitely upgrade to 2011 shaft set up !!
    You indeed need parts 22-29.
    The ball bearing is not really necessary (depends on your running hours ass well, do it if you prefer)

The benefit to do it yourself is:
    You'll learn how to wrench on your ski. So for the future you won't be afraid to take some stuff apart
    You'll know the job is done right (if you thrust yourself)
    You'll save some money on labor
    Enough people willing to help on this forum !!

See if there's somebody around with an alignment set.

To be honest 170 dollar for all the labor is not much. It's quite a time consuming job, especially the alignment procedure.
    When you have all parts dismantled also change your wearring (I would go for the SS one).
    And change the grease in the jet nose cone for oil (do a quick search on the forum why).

For the shopmanual:

http://www.brpmanuals.com

Good luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EVN81 View Post

Definitely upgrade to 2011 shaft set up !!
    You indeed need parts 22-29.
    The ball bearing is not really necessary (depends on your running hours ass well, do it if you prefer)

The benefit to do it yourself is:
    You'll learn how to wrench on your ski. So for the future you won't be afraid to take some stuff apart
    You'll know the job is done right (if you thrust yourself)
    You'll save some money on labor
    Enough people willing to help on this forum !!

See if there's somebody around with an alignment set.

To be honest 170 dollar for all the labor is not much. It's quite a time consuming job, especially the alignment procedure.
    When you have all parts dismantled also change your wearring (I would go for the SS one).
    And change the grease in the jet nose cone for oil (do a quick search on the forum why).

For the shopmanual:

http://www.brpmanuals.com

Good luck
    Thanks for the tips. I did plan on doing it myself, until I read into the alignment more. But you're exactly right, I like working on my own machines as I learn about them, take my time and do it right. Not real familiar with PWC stuff, but it's still just a machine. I will DL the manual now and see what I think... If I DL the 2010 manual, would I need 2011 info for the drive shaft swap? The $650 mentioned seems very low as he (dealer) mentioned 4 hrs labor which is around $300. I don't know if this is factoring in checking/adjusting alignment. I installed a new prop and noticed my wear ring is scarred up, also suggesting misalignment. I'm assuming the prop housing needs to be removed again for the drive shaft replacement, if so I will have them do it if I take it in. Otherwise that is an easy install to do myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information