Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

STXR part install. Not sure what to call it or how it's fastened to the hull??????

[/URL]

This is the part that seals and houses the driveshaft. It connects to the driveshaft bearing holder with a rubber hose. Removing it was easy it just popped loose of the hull but I assume it was fastened with an adhesive at some point.

What is the best way to secure this to the inner hull?

+1
    [/URL]

+1
    it attaches to this sunlight oval hole to allow the driveshaft to pass out of the hull.
    Last edited by Jamescmei; 04-27-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: info

+1
    [/URL]

3m 5200 is the adhesive to use. that part to leak is a common issue on the stxr and the older ultras. line it up with the drive shaft and 5200 it down. if you are wave jumping or anything like that i would lay some glass over it. hopefully the 5200 will stick to that coat of paint you put on that peice
    Last edited by turboman412; 04-28-2015 at 08:15 AM.

+1
    Thanks, yeah if it's going to be glued on I will clean and prep the contact area properly.

+1
    Well I removed the paint, clean and sanded the area spotless and glued it on with a liberal amout of adhesive. It seemed to seal quite well but has recently started seeping water through. Is there any better way to seal this??? Seems ridiculous to just glue it, i was thinking maybe add two small stainless bolts or stainless rivets to secure it. It would be hard to glass over now that I have a glob of 5200 on it.

You can lay some layers of fiberglass down. I have 5200 a few down, never leaked.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamescmei View Post
    Well I removed the paint, clean and sanded the area spotless and glued it on with a liberal amout of adhesive. It seemed to seal quite well but has recently started seeping water through. Is there any better way to seal this??? Seems ridiculous to just glue it, i was thinking maybe add two small stainless bolts or stainless rivets to secure it. It would be hard to glass over now that I have a glob of 5200 on it.
    Did you use any solvent to wipe the hull before you glued it? Did you allow an adequate time for the 5200 to dry? Pretty sure when I glued mine back on I used pieces of tape to hold it down while it dried. I did mine last year and layed a few pieces of glass mat over the area, didn't want to have to worry about that coming off. Can only imagine how fast it would fill the hull up with water if that let go.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamescmei View Post
    Did you use any solvent to wipe the hull before you glued it? Did you allow an adequate time for the 5200 to dry? Pretty sure when I glued mine back on I used pieces of tape to hold it down while it dried. I did mine last year and layed a few pieces of glass mat over the area, didn't want to have to worry about that coming off. Can only imagine how fast it would fill the hull up with water if that let go.

Yes, textbook perfect conditions for the adhesive. It was sanded and wiped with acetone probably 5 times to ensure a perfect bond. Sat a week before use. I did not clamp,it or anything just smooshed it on there with a liberal amount of adhesive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information