Carbon seal replacement

Hey guys,
    I have been having bad low end cavitation, 0-25 mph or so on my 04 gtx 185. I replaced the wear ring hoping that would solve it but it did not. I decided to order a new Carbon seal and accordion boot and the parts needed to replace everything. I went to start removing the old, got the hoses out of the way to gain access to the accordion boot, loosened clamps, and was able to get everythimg sliding back and feel the c clip but it seems like the supercharger is in the way of getting this done. Can it be done without removing the supercharger? It seems pretty straight forward on how to do this its just getting to it is a pita.

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuadale07 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have been having bad low end cavitation, 0-25 mph or so on my 04 gtx 185. I replaced the wear ring hoping that would solve it but it did not. I decided to order a new Carbon seal and accordion boot and the parts needed to replace everything. I went to start removing the old, got the hoses out of the way to gain access to the accordion boot, loosened clamps, and was able to get everythimg sliding back and feel the c clip but it seems like the supercharger is in the way of getting this done. Can it be done without removing the supercharger? It seems pretty straight forward on how to do this its just getting to it is a pita.

Hey, 3 bolts and the SC comes out. Gives you heaps of room and you can check your SC slip while it's out. Why wouldn't you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	357319I got everything apart, and noticed the back of the prop a little dinged up. Does it look bad? Or this this ok? Don't look great to be but would this cause cavitation?

+1
    need a new impeller for sure. Look on your driveshaft and see if a rubber boot is sliding up and down it. Looks like it ripped off your impeller. That will cause major cavitation.. along with everything else.

There was nothing on my driveshaft. Where does the rubber boot go?

Some dealer I have to replace the wear ring and not mention anything about the prop. I told them if was cavitation bad etc etc and they just replaced the wear ring. I figured the prop was good or they woulda said something so I ripped everything apart to replace Carbon seal when it pry did not need done. Oh well...new parts is never a bad thing

Ok so what your saying is there should be a rubber piece extending out from where the driveshaft enters the prop right? It's not on the driveshaft, must have been ripped off and then fell off somehow

Thread Information