Water Strainer Instalation

Hi guys, I want to instal a strainer, like the one in the link, on my cooling system to prevent debries and stuff from entering my intercooler and exhaust system. But I dont now where is the right place to instal it or in what direction the is the water flowing.

Im including a diagram of the cooling system, seems to me like one of this hoses, 29 or 30, should be "in" and the other should be "out".

Does anybody know which is the hose thats flowing into the system? where to instal the strainer?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 8.43.07 PM.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	357345

Strainer:
    http://www.grainger.com/product/FLOJET-Strainer-4YD31?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4YD29_AS01?$smthumb$

+1
    you only need to filter the water going thru the intercooler
    most do not recommend filtering the exhaust cooling water
    because when it gets plunged (it will some day) it could cause your boat to sink
    yes sink, because the exhaust hoses can melt with low/no water flow

+1
    Hose #34, which is the one going into the lower IC connection.

Like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	357351

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    you only need to filter the water going thru the intercooler
    most do not recommend filtering the exhaust cooling water
    because when it gets plunged (it will some day) it could cause your boat to sink
    yes sink, because the exhaust hoses can melt with low/no water flow
    Ok, please tell me if Im wrong, but my logic tells me the exhaust can also get clogged or restricted without the filter, correct? thus still causing the same catastrophic problem with the hoses, the only difference is that with a strainer I can keep an eye on the filter and clean it much more easily and periodically... Or maybe Im not understanding and the strainer will also slow the water flow and affects the cooling capacity of the system... So should I definitely just filter the intercooler?

Let me tell more of the story. I learned about the strainers and thought I should use one when facing the prospect of my exhaust being clogged, and the idea of possibly needing to clean it!...

You see I just got a P1544 code which is over heating of the exhaust. I did the o-manual's procedures and checked if there was nothing stuck under the boat, nothing visible, yet got the same code again the next day, this happens only when going fast, it doesnt happen when going slow. So I took it out of the water and flushed it, water flows out of the pump and exhaust apparently normal, but I cant tell if its restricted in some way. The exhaust system seems very complicated to clean, damn... I hope its just a bad sensor. Thats why I would love to prevent this, if posible, thats how I got to the strainers.

But now I have more questions:

Doesnt the water intake for the cooling system come with some sort of grate or strainer from the factory? or does it have a direct big intake hole and anything can go in there?

If the cooling flow has 2 separate routs, one for the intercooler and other for the exhaust, and the sensor is in the exhaust section, this means the problem or restriction is in the exhaust section, correct?

Is there any way to know if a sensor is bad or I just have to change it and find out?

thanks everybody for taking the time to read this and helping me out

+1
    GRB, if you want to strain both IC and exhaust manifold have at it. Put one on hose #30 and you will cover both. I have been doing the exact same thing on my 2005 GTX since 2008 and it has worked just fine all these years. I added an external IC on it then and plumbed it just like you desire.

On the newer ski's like the 2010 T-X in the picture I posted, it is harder to strain both due to OEM plumbing. It can be done but most guys simply strain the IC only.

Obviously, you have to keep it clean - common sense.

Check the wires going to the temp sensor on the WB to make sure they are not burned or melted.

+1
    in the pump there is a screen type pick up
    the holes are quite big but it can get plugged or restricted
    the newer exhaust does not have small holes to get plugged

+1
    I put an '08 up style mid pipe on my 2005 RXP and there are three small 'pisser holes' in the mid pipe housing that spray onto the long pipe that extends down into the waterbox. I drilled those out one size bigger and smoothed them out ... they are very small as cast.

I have always run a strainer, then fed the IC and exhaust on my setup, so that all the water is filtered. But I switched to a much larger heavy duty strainer that I got at Tractor Supply Co locally, and mounted it where I can easily unscrew the bottom. ** I check and thoroughly clean my strainer EVERY time before I ride - it is part of my usual pre-ride check. As Chris and others have said, IF you run a strainer, you MUST check it every time you ride ... otherwise it goes from an asset to just another liability, because they can plug up too, and pretty quickly if you ride in silt, shallow, or weeds at all.

+1
    I'm going to install a strainer on my 14 t-x 260 and i noticed the ic hoses are on backwards. The top ic hose comes from the tee fitting going into flush tee and the bottom ic hose comes from the other tee that is tied into tunnel and front exhaust nipple. This was how it came from the dealer. Is this a brp revision or did someone screw up?

Thread Information