Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Question How to convert the MSX110/150 in tank fuel pump to external, with homedepot parts.

I have tested this and it worked really nice. The reason to do this is this assembly prevents air ingestion during ruff conditions and must be maintained when removing the pump from the assembly. Also it prevents future removal to replace the pump. The biggest is it also allows for the use of dozzens of aftermarket pumps. Any inline pump rated for this flow rate and pressure will work.

This is what you will replace the pump with. They are plumbing fittings. 2" x 3/4"(if memory serves, it should almost screw in without any heat, it should be a really close fit to the threads) threaded brass pipe converted down to 1/4" barb. The fewest number of fittings is best. Once you have it assembled you want to solder it all together. Any torch, water based flux, and solder will work.

First remove the old pump assembly. This will require you to remove the stering column. Be carefull not to dammage the fuel level sending unit when you pull it out. DO NO DAMMAGE THE THREE WAY PORT. It can't be replaced.

Don't dammage this! You need this.

This is what the pump assembly looks like when assembled.

Carefully without breaking anything take it apart.

Once it is apart find the filter/check valve and inspect it. Mine was not in the greatest shape but usable. If really bad it needs repaired or replaced. It is necessary for not draining the upper tank and pulling from the bottom during normal operation.

Now superglue it together. Then take the brass pump replacement part and heat it up slowly until it is hot enough to screw the filter/check valve onto it. Make sure the filter side is up. Only screw it in far enough for it to go all the way through. No further. Once it cools remove it and use superglue and reattatch it. Then using some emersion rated fuel line and attatch about 2 feet to the brass pick up unit securely.

Then take a piece of fuel rated or radiator hose about 6" long and fit it over the brass pick up piece. You can get radiator hose at most mechanics shops for free. It needs to fit tight. Then superglue the filter/check valve in place in the pump assembly.

Now cut the bottom off the piece that held the old pump in place. Also hollow out the center of the old rubber boot so the radiator hose fits through it snug. Shave the four ends flat so they can push down into the slot in the bottom of the pump assembly housing.

Once it is pushed down into place use something and hammer it down softly then pin it with small ss screws on all four legs.

Then reassemble it.

Then reinstall it. Using two people helps. Place a piece of 1.5" x 3' pvc through the stering hole to push down on the unit to get it to seat. It takes some weight and some 2stroke oil or other lube on the ruber seal.

At this point you can attatch any external pump rated for this flow rate and pressure.

Hope this helps someone
    Last edited by hill160881; 04-28-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Why did you go through the trouble of all that? Why not just put a fuel pickup in the bottom of the bucket? My Matrix fuel pickup just has a brass tube tapped into the piece at the top of the pump body that extends to the bottom of the fuel pump bucket. No hoses, no super glue, just a straight brass tube to the bottom of the bucket. Cant be any simpler than that. Am I missing something here?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    Why did you go through the trouble of all that? Why not just put a fuel pickup in the bottom of the bucket? My Matrix fuel pickup just has a brass tube tapped into the piece at the top of the pump body that extends to the bottom of the fuel pump bucket. No hoses, no super glue, just a straight brass tube to the bottom of the bucket. Cant be any simpler than that. Am I missing something here?
    Is the bottom of the bucket just open to the fuel tank?

+1
    Yours is the homemade way to make one of these (very MacGyver'ish!) :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris-freedom-fuel-canister.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	357372

The 2004 Freedom fuel canister... with pickup, return, vent and fuel level sender.
    This particular one (2004 only) fits the big fuel canister hole in the MSX fuel tanks.

Perfect for 2-stroking an MSX or mounting an external fuel pump on the Weber.

Cheers!

5. +1 by:

+1
    I considered just running a pickup tube to the bottom of the bucket but was concerned that at low levels it would draw air in ruf conditions. I figured the design was worth keeping if possible.

I had no idea they actually made one you could buy at one point. That's pretty cool.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Yes with a filter, but there is a float valve that shuts to prevent sucking air and forces the pump to draw from inside the pump assembly housing where the fuel return dump into. Allowing a gallon of reserve to draw from in hard G force turning and jumping conditions.

This is is the lower float valve that closes when it drops down in a jump or a hard turn.

It fits inside the filter where it does its thing when Installed. The float fits through a hole in the bottom of the housing, then the filter presses over that.

Banned User
    +1
    My understanding is that the fuel pump bucket is filled by the return fuel flow and has a higher level of fuel in it than the tank when the tank gets low on fuel. Its designed this way to keep from sucking air when the tank gets low.

+1
    Correct

Banned User
    +1
    So just a pick up tube to the bottom of the bucket is all that is needed.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hill160881 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... My Matrix fuel pickup just has a brass tube tapped into the piece at the top of the pump body that extends to the bottom of the fuel pump bucket. ... just a straight brass tube to the bottom of the bucket. ...
    Yes ...
    I was asking about the Matrix fuel sender

My expectation is that the Matrix uses the same fuel sender as the 2004 Freedom unit that fits the large fuel tank top opening. But I have never seen either one in person nor in clear photos of the bottom/inside configuration.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information