Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Smile 2 97 Polaris SLT 780's whit problems please help. New to pwc world

Hello everyone I'm new to the web site and new to the world of pwc. I just bought 2 1997 Polaris SLT 780's that don't run. I am mechanically inclined but I have never worked on pwcs and I'm a bit hesitant to do so.

1st ski does a loud clunk like its jammed up when tride to crank over. I've tride to crank it with a car battery and nothing. It just clunks and doesn't rotate. Owner said he had it running a few months ago.

2nd ski cranks over but when I took the spark plugs out to check for spark there was fluids flying everywhere when I cranked it.

Thanks in advance

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!!

Lots of good reading material here - Http://PolarisPWCknowledge.shorturl.com

A loud clunk would tend to indicate the starter is activating, engaging the bendix, which is engaging the flywheel, but the flywheel wont move. In this case, either the jet pump or the motor itself is likely locked up. Try rotating the motor by hand at the drive shaft coupler. If it will not turn, remove the jet pump. Try again. If it still won't turn, time to remove the heads and see what is going on inside.

As for the 2nd ski, fluids with a brownish orange color, and with a history of being flipped, likely points to water in the crankcase and a rusty crankshaft. Time to remove the carbs, intake manifold, and reeds to have a look at the condition of the crankshaft. If it looks to have any rust, the entire motor need to be torn down and each of the bearings needs inspected. A rusty crankshaft needs replaced.

Sounds like you have two complete rebuilds on your hands to me..... Not a overly difficult task to take on and we will be happy to support along the way.....

+1
    Thanks for the post. I decided to take them to a shop and have them look them over. As soon as they get back to me about the issues I will post what they are. I agree with your diagnosis based on what I told you. I will see if I have the time to do the repairs my self or just have them done. I just ordered the manual for them. I didn't want to tare down with out the proper manual and not have bolt pattern sequences and torque specs etc...

Thank you for the hospitality

+1
    I might even use one ski as a donor for the other

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Nothing to add other than BFC is totally correct.

I would expect the shop to tell you they are trash.

+1
    Hi there guys. How funny you say that. I just got the call I've been waiting for. One runs and the other does not. So I went ahead and used one as a donor for the other. The engine needs to be rebuilt. The other just needed carbs and intake manifold. I get them back tomorrow. I might keep the dead one and work on it my self. If I do I might just order a engine and carbs.

+1
    I test road the ski yesterday and it didn't want to stay on. The idle was a bit low. Road it around and it's fast. But when I loaded it up on the trailer I opened the haul and there was about 6-8 inches of water in side. Good thing I called it a day when I did. I know it has a bilge pump that you hold the button. So am I supposed to hit that every so often? I'm going to check all the coolant line clamps latter today. The haul has no cracks. At least not visible ones to me. Any ideas or sugestions? Oh ski was never turned over and plug was on tight.

+1
    I decided to wait until dark to shine light under the haul an I found a nice gash in it in side the pump housing. Going to do some fiber glass work.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by greynosa View Post
    I decided to wait until dark to shine light under the haul an I found a nice gash in it in side the pump housing. Going to do some fiber glass work.
    Be sure to use epoxy, not polyester, based fiberglass resin.

+1
    Ok thanks for the tip. I might be able to do it today. I'll look for that type of resin. Would I have to do it on both the inside and out side or can I get away with just doing it from the inside of the haul.? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information