Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

IBR= (I)'d (B)etter (R)econsider .....

I'm getting pretty tired of dealing with the "design" of the IBR system. EVERY time I'm not first one to pull a pump, I run into a serious design problem.

For those of you who have not dealt with it, the IBR is full of blind brass inserts and large stainless grade 8 bolts. Shame the inserts aren't up to the job and either a heavy handed wrench or some corrosion ( and the position of the IBR drive motor almost assures you will have standing water in there at some point) will cause a situation where the inserts spin in the backing plate. And that begins the swearing.

There appears to be a problem with techs that don't own a torque wrench and owners that don't understand the importance of proper maintenance.

Pulling a jet pump on an IBR ski can and will be a nightmare for everybody at one point..and will often involve using a sawzall and or die grinder in very tight quarters.

I did one yesterday that had two stripped inserts..is it any mystery the part # for the bracket ends in 69?

I've been lucky so far with just minimal pain.

A word of warning to those about to embark on pump mods for this model ski. GET A MANUAL and a GOOD torque wrench or the next time you have to pull the pump you will be <<very>> sorry!

I'm hoping in the next model year or two ( if they haven't already--I don't get my hands on current years skis very often) you'll be able to remove the pump without having to touch any IBR components.

+1
    I guess it may be the fresh water I ride in or that I'm anal and torq everything but never had one issue with the 4 IBR skis I've owned.

3. +1 by:

+1
    i have had my pump off probably 20 times, and knock on wood but havnt had an issue yet either

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Branden View Post
    i have had my pump off probably 20 times, and knock on wood but havnt had an issue yet either
    Me to...but I just go to good-n-snug spec, not monkey tight spec on IBR mounting bolts. Salt away spray down, dry then followed by sea doo lube spray down, no issues for 5 years on my old RXTX260 all salt water usage.

I'd like to see the mini torque wrench you guys are using to get to some of those bolts on the IBR if you are torque spec.

Anything pump stuff (for sure) I torque carefully as I've spent hours/days aligning things, it makes a difference for sure. As stated by NMPETER, follow the manual for sequence and torque specs. Takes little time to do it right and the payback is less future pain.

6. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the problem seems to be that anybody with a toolbox hangs out a "we fix jetskis" sign around here during the summer. If they "fix jetskis" why can't they make a key for a seadoo? Guessing gets expensive on a 4-tec with a check engine light.

I don't do boat repairs, as I don't have anywhere near the smarts to deal with the dozens of specific issues that boat techs have to deal with.

It was obvious from the chisel marks inside the pump housing and the crappy aftermarket wear ring that somebody had been in there before.

The mounting system works "on paper" but in real world..well best to do your own work from new in this case. Buyers of used skis beware.

I still have one bolt to remove from the IBR itself, but now that the plate is free, not expecting to have to take the grinder to it.

My pricing on pumps now has a * next to any IBR ski warning about extra charges if the bolts are stripped in place.

Why design something that is used in water if corrosion or sloppy work makes a HUGE problem out of it?

Where's Hatori Hanzo when you need him.....No doubt if I had some of the "Japanese steel" the bolts would have backed off out of respect.

+1
    How much of the ibr parts are you removing to get the pump off? You can leave the brake bucket on and just remove the two small 13mm short bolts from the bottom mount on the bucket. This will let you swing the bucket up . Then it's just the inner 13mm longer bolts that hold the trim ring . A10mm and your ready to loosen and remove pump. You don't need to take off everything to get the pump out, regardless of what the manual says . I've removed my pump at least 50 times in the life of my ski this way. No issues at all.

+1
    No problems here at all... As long as you don't over-torque any of the particular bolts, your 100% fine. I've had my pump out so many times, I don't even use a torque wrench - just common sense on getting the bolts snug and nothing more. Its actually a very simple design that works awesome!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoo02xp View Post
    How much of the ibr parts are you removing to get the pump off? You can leave the brake bucket on and just remove the two small 13mm short bolts from the bottom mount on the bucket. This will let you swing the bucket up . Then it's just the inner 13mm longer bolts that hold the trim ring . A10mm and your ready to loosen and remove pump. You don't need to take off everything to get the pump out, regardless of what the manual says . I've removed my pump at least 50 times in the life of my ski this way. No issues at all.
    +100

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glade Rider View Post
    +100
    agree, remove minimal and I've never had a problem either................

+1
    I thought you would probably just use tie wraps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information