Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Code P1544 Help

Code P1544 Help

Hi, I got this code P1544 "exhaust" on my Speedster 150 255hp. I just posted a thread about installing a strainer for the cooling system hoping to prevent something like this, hope all of you can please help me out with some feedback on that thread about a strainer/filter idea.

But I thought I should post in a separate thread, this one, my questions regarding the overheating exhaust problem. This is what the shop manual reads:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 3.11.08 PM.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	357435

It says "check if the exhaust injection valve is properly calibrated" whats that? how do I check it? I cant find anything in the shop manual about the "exhaust injection valve" or its calibration. Does it refer to the exhaust valve? I never knew it as an "injection" valve, if so, its an oxymoron you know exhaust=injection ...

I cant find on the manual a specific section for the exhaust cooling, the cooling section exclusively refers to the closed loop cooling, and the exhaust section while it explains how to disassemble the exhaust system it does not specify on how to check, clean and assemble the exhaust cooling system and all its hoses. This is confusing and seems like a pain to tear apart, specially the exhaust manifold.. Any tips please?

+1
    IMO buy a new sensor just about every dealer stocks them

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    IMO buy a new sensor just about every dealer stocks them
    I can go to the nearest dealer next week, Ill buy a new sensor (fingers crossed)

Do you happen to know anything about that "injection" valve? could it be referring to the reducer in the jet pump inlet?

+1
    Did you check the wires for damage like I mentioned in the other thread?

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I couldnt check it today, Ill check it tomorrow morning, thanks!

+1
    I would also check for a blocked / or restricted intercooler core, & cooling system. If water is blocked, It will melt another exhaust temp sensor.

As for
    It says "check if the exhaust injection valve is properly calibrated"
    I believe that part doesn't apply to 4-tech engines. They were used on older 2 strokes

7. +1 by:

+1
    I'm with Jason, that is a typo, does not apply to our 4 stroke engines. I looked through the fiche for your boat just in case, there just is no 'exhaust injection valve'. Your exhaust is similar to the exhaust in the skis. Your sensor sits in the exit pipe of the waterbox - you need to go 'upstream' from that to find any obstructions ... back thru the mid-pipe, exhaust manifold, intercooler and pump feed.

FIRST check the sensor and wiring to the sensor ... that's the easy part. Then go looking for junk that is impeding water flow.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I checked the wires, they seem fine apparently. I followed them to another conector and they look normal all the length of the cable.

Name:	IMG_5372.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	357510

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    I would also check for a blocked / or restricted intercooler core, & cooling system. If water is blocked, It will melt another exhaust temp sensor.
    Ok, one question (sorry if its obvious). If the water takes to separate routs, one to the intercooler and the other for the exhaust, then meets again at the end, doesnt this mean that if the sensor thats lighting up is in the exhaust section, the blockage must be in the exhaust section also? or Im not getting it and a blockage in the intercooler will overheat the exhaust?

As for
    It says "check if the exhaust injection valve is properly calibrated"
    I believe that part doesn't apply to 4-tech engines. They were used on older 2 strokes
    Thats the strange part, the shop manual I bought is for 2010 boats, it says is for that model year's 155hp 215hp and 255hp. I believe they are all 4tec. correct?

Now I have been inspecting the whole system from the out side, and noticed that the intake for the cooling has this things that screw in from outside the pump, its part number 7 and 24 on the parts catalog, it just says "plug" for each.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.58.19 PM.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	357512
    Anybody knows what thats for? they screw in and must have a purpose, but there is no reference on this parts anywhere on the manual. Im including a capture from the manual where you can see the same section, but Ill take batter pictures of mine tomorrow.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 8.50.31 PM.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	357513
    And I also sow the PWCs pumps have something similar.

Name:	20-3720-b_3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	357516

Thanks!!

+1
    being a boat most of us have no idea how the cooling system works or what a exhaust injection valve is
    in that photo under the big plug is where the water pick up is

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    being a boat most of us have no idea how the cooling system works or what a exhaust injection valve is
    in that photo under the big plug is where the water pick up is
    Its literally the same thing, my boat is basically just bigger PWC, a bigger hull with the same engine and components.

The last picture is from a pump for the RXP, it looks just like mine, and here's another pic of the same pump but the front view, you can see more clearly the two holes right where the pick up is.

They could be just for access and cleaning, but then why two holes? and from the parts diagram part num.7 looks like something more then a plug, its longer, and its right above the pick up intake, I wonder if this is some sort of way to regulate the flow by screwing and unscrewing... its not mentioned anywhere in the manual

Name:	20-3720-a_3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	357524

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information