Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Idle Control Valve?

I have a 2006 STX 12F and it is idling at about 6 miles an hour. I noticed that I don't get the "ratcheting sound" when I turn it off or when I just hit the ignition and let it fail to start. From what I can gather, this means the problem is the idle control valve located on the throttle body. I have found the piece that makes the "ratcheting sound" on my '08 STX 15F, just to make sure I'm looking for the right part. When I look that part up, it's not called the idle control valve, it's called the "Motor-Electric STM, and also seems to be called the "trim motor" in some places.

This is what I've found. The part number is 21174-0555 found at this link- http://www.kawasakioemparts.com/oemp...95510/throttle

I'm just trying to get verification that this part is what I'm looking for and is also referred to as the "idle control valve"

Thanks!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    yes, the valve that controls the amount of air allowed at idle is gear driven and makes that sound. DO NOT manipulate it by hand, that will damage it.

Unless the ecu is throwing a code pointing at that I would continue looking. As always it's an expensive bit

I've only replaced one, the ski was throwing codes ( a seadoo) It was a rental with 600 hours on it.

I'd check for an air leak before plopping down close to $200, especially if no code is being thrown.

The ecu should be able to detect the current position of the valve and compare it against the expected value for a fault detection.

Make sure the throttle cable has the specified slack and the tps has been zeroed

Hey Pete, thanks for the reply. There is definitely slack in the throttle cable, which lets it close fully. Where am I looking for an air leak? Also, if it's not making the sound, doesn't that mean it's bad? Also, not sure what the TPS is and how to reset it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    This can turn into an expensive problem for you. You need some diagnostic tools to reset the tps ( that's the throttle position sensor)

What's the idle speed out of water and in water.

Finding an air leak isn't as easy as it sounds, but for the moment let's assume you do not have one.

Report back with the out/in water rpm and perhaps there is no problem at all. most skis WILL move forward when "idling", except for IBR equipped seadoos which have a gate that provides far less forward thrust unless you are actually open the throttle.

and of course search is your friend..as are our very experienced forum membership.

Give this a read:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186939

with respect, not knowing what a tps is means you might be better off bringing your ski to a shop to have it checked if it is determined there is a fault and your ski is idling too high both out and in the water.

Pete, you are right, I'm very new to this. I have consulted the "be all, end all" thread which is what brought me to this point. My ski will idle rough in/out of the water at around 2.5k to 3k rpm if I remember correctly. (It's enough to bring me up to 6mph, it previously idled at 2-3mph). It varies up and down a bit, but in/out of water makes no difference.

Would either of the other problems you mentioned stop the idle control valve from sounding off? I find myself returning to this because it seems to me that all of the symptoms point to this.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    yes, the valve that controls the amount of air allowed at idle is gear driven and makes that sound. DO NOT manipulate it by hand, that will damage it.

Unless the ecu is throwing a code pointing at that I would continue looking. As always it's an expensive bit

I've only replaced one, the ski was throwing codes ( a seadoo) It was a rental with 600 hours on it.

I'd check for an air leak before plopping down close to $200, especially if no code is being thrown.

The ecu should be able to detect the current position of the valve and compare it against the expected value for a fault detection.

Make sure the throttle cable has the specified slack and the tps has been zeroed
    the ECU CANT tell if its stuck it only see;s open circuit...
    so a stuck valve causes idle issue with NO codes
    ..replace it if it making no noises

Waz

7. +1 by:

yeah ive had plenty that did all the right noises most were good out of the water but crapped out on the water. put new ones in and away we go, also you can buy just the motor without the mount for a lot less

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    you can buy just the ISC motor by it
    21174-3706 MOTOR-ELECTRIC,STM 182.60 182.60
    top 1 is 2006 12f
    2nd one is 2007 250x

or you can use a MITSUBISHI car unit..... cant remember which 1 I used to use , but its an off the shelf car part ...

pajero ,triton will check the shed for a old box from 1

Waz

10. +1 by:

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    you can use a MITSUBISHI car unit..... cant remember which 1 I used to use , but its an off the shelf car part ...

Waz
    The 12f and 15f use different motors though. Make sure to post a photo of the plug if you can.

Thanks Waz,

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    you can buy just the ISC motor by it
    top 1 is 2006 12f
    2nd one is 2007 250x

or you can use a MITSUBISHI car unit..... cant remember which 1 I used to use , but its an off the shelf car part ...

Waz

What was the itchypussy er I mean Mitsubishi part number? Would be cool to have one on hand from the parts store...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information