+1

Hull Repair Question

So I got careless last weekend and bottomed my ski out on some rocks and put a decent size gash in my hull, it's not huge or anything, I'd say it was about 3/4" by 1" gash, that went thru the paint and into the fiber. Definately needs to be fixed before I continue driving it. My question is, if I should just have them patch and paint that area or go ahead and paint the entire hull. It's a 2014 fx cruiser svho with 100hrs on it. From hearing everyone's concerns about these hulls and the material they are made out of, I wonder if I painted the entire hull if that would kinda sorta give it an extra layer of protection? Besides the gash, the rest of the hull is just normal wear with minor scratches that you would normally get. It's never been beached or jumped really(well maybe a couple times^^) so shouldn't have to worry about any cracks in the hull from flexing or w'e.

Is there anything extra I can do to the hull while I'm already at a point of repainting it to help reinforce it?

Thanks guys

I don't think you will get anything out of painting the entire hull, definitely no more protection. I'd patch the gouge, and keep riding. I've repaired a number of similar gouges in my Nano hull over the years. It seems as soon as I get one fixed, another appears. I tried using a Keel Guard for one season, but it didn't hold up going on and off a ride on dock. I don't know of any way to reinforce the hull.

+1
    Thanks for the reply. Ya, it's my first ski and pretty new, so i tend to over think things. Imma patch it and go on. Sucks how beautiful it's gonna be this weekend and I gots no ski to ride

Banned User
    +1
    Make sure you use the right materials for the job. Im pretty sure you must use epoxy resin. Look up Nano Xcel repair to find out the best ways to do it. I know the nano hulls can be tricky to repair.

I use West Systems epoxy repair kit on my Nano hull. It has everything you need except for the paint. I just used some auto black rattle can paint, and it was a close match. You can't see it anyhow. After your 3rd or 4th scrape you get less and less picky about how it looks.

+1
    as said in the above post use epoxy

+1
    In my case for now I'm just gonna let the dealer fix it. They have a guy they take their ski's to, that from what I've been told does a phenomenal job. Wanna keep it looking as new as possible. I may sell it or trade it in this year for a 2016 model so I can get the new ride system.

Thread Information