Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Testing DESS post and lanyard 96 XP

How do I test the DESS post and lanyard? I am getting intermittent problems with my ski. Sometimes 2 beeps but most of the time I get no beep at all. I am worried that if I try to replace it I will have to pay for an expensive programming. Any advice would be great. Just replaced solenoid and when I get 2 beeps it will finally turn over now.

+1
    Check your dress cap to see if the shiny metal insert is still there. Also check that it's making good contact. I highly doubt there's anything wrong with the post itself.

+1
    Sometimes it could be a defective DESS key going bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by griffith1230 View Post
    How do I test the DESS post and lanyard? I am getting intermittent problems with my ski. Sometimes 2 beeps but most of the time I get no beep at all. I am worried that if I try to replace it I will have to pay for an expensive programming. Any advice would be great. Just replaced solenoid and when I get 2 beeps it will finally turn over now.
    There are three wires on your DESS post:
    1. Solid black wire is a constant ground
    2. Black wire w/yellow tracer is the return path to ground for the MPEM circuit that carries ground back to the module
    3. White wire w/grey tracer is your low voltage communication wire to the module that exchanges the ROM code in the lanyard

The DESS post is a reed switch, your lanyard contains a magnet and when placed on the post it completes the circuit between the solid black and black w/yellow trace. The presence of a ground back to the module on the Blk/Ylw allows the module to read the code stored in the lanyards ROM chip that is pre-programmed to the MPEM memory. When it recognises the security code it unlocks the ignition circuit and sends the voltage pulses out to the beeper to give you a thumbs up.

To test the post, unplug it and remove it to your bench it's a little easier to probe everything that way. You should have continuity from the solid black wire to the metal ring on the outside shoulder of the post all the time. You should also have continuity from the white w/grey trace wire to the small contact on the very top center of the post all the time.

With the key off the post, you should have no continuity between the black and black w/yellow wires, with the key placed on the post that should complete the circuit and show continuity between them.

There are a few things you can do to test the key itself, clean it first with a q-tip dipped in alcohol and clean any debris out of it and make sure the two side and one top contacts are in place and clean.

You should see continuity between both of the ground contacts in the side body of the key, and using the red test lead on either of the side contacts and the black test lead on the top center contact you should see less than 10 ohms of resistance.

I find any more than 10 ohms on the ROM chip usually causes intermittent or complete failure of the key to work properly with a MPEM module, my programmer will read keys up to about 18 ohms of resistance and program them to modules but the MPEM won't recognise them reliably in normal operation.

5. +1 by:

Great advice Waterluvr. I will try that this weekend and get back.

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by griffith1230 View Post
    Great advice Waterluvr. I will try that this weekend and get back.

Thanks!
    Your welcome, I hope that helps you isolate the problem.

Remember that's a nominal 5V circuit on it's best day and just a little corrosion at the connector plug or resistance in the post harness anywhere can give you problems it pays to scrutinize every connection from the post harness all the way to the module just the act of unplugging and re inserting the contacts will be enough to get a connection working better sometimes.

We tested the lanyard and post. Continuity tests on the posts were fine. I did notice a harness conspicuously unplugged. From the front electrical box the bottom two outlets from the box come together in a gray plug. Wire colors are : 3 yellow, yellow/white, black, and black/yellow. Where souls this harness plug in? I can't find it anywhere.

Found it!

Dumb me. I must have unplugged it when I pulled on the front box. Found the plug on the front of the engine. I have two beeps. On to the driveshaft problem now.

+1
    Happy ending to a DESS problem ~Atta boy. What's the driveshaft not doing right?

The driveshaft is not spinning but the PTO is. I guess I will have to take it out to see which is stripped out. Any tips on getting the PTO off with ease? Is this common?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information