Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pto leaking oil

Pto leaking oil

I changed my Carbon seal parts, and when I removed the driveshaft I pulled the small stainless piece out of the rubber boots connected to the pto. I just pressed it back in, not knowing what I did. I put it all back together but now it leaks oil bad. Do I need to replace all those parts or just pull that clamp and reseat that stainless piece and put on a new clamp?

+1
    minimum is a new clamp
    that spinning bearing may have cut the boot
    most use some glue/silicon to help hold that in the boot

Ok. Can I use a hose clamp on it or does it need to be a clamp that is like the one on there?

Also, can I do it without removing the driveshaft, given the boot is not cut?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshuadale07 View Post
    Ok. Can I use a hose clamp on it or does it need to be a clamp that is like the one on there?

The optimum thing to do is replace it with the correct size Oetiker Clamp. Look at the clamp you removed very closely, the size in mm is stamped on the clamp, such as 48mm. Purchase more clamps here at mcmaster http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=wzwe0m

Click on Pinch(Ear) Clamps, Scroll down the page to "tongue and Groove" clamps, select the size you need.

If you purchase them from OEM, they are ridiculously expensive like $7-8 per clamp. At McMaster you can get 10-25 for the same price. BTW, most of the fuel lines use 5/16 or 3/8" hose using 15.7mm Oeitiker clamps.

Another common McMaster product guys purchase are the spring washers for the SC here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#96475k278/=wzwhhj

Temporarily you could use a standard worm clamp, but you need to be very careful not to over tighten it and cut the rubber. Too loose, and it leaks oil. That is why they use Oetiker clamps on fuel, coolant, and oil critical hoses.

I will use the correct clamps, no problem. I'm guessing I need the crimping tool as well?

+1

+1
    the oem use the Oetiker Clamp because they are cheaper and faster to install
    not because they are better

Well...if I can just use a worm drive and it work just as good as oem, i would be happy. But...I don't want to be leaking oil in my bilge and risk losing oil and hurting the motor. I rarely ride this ski, bought it for my wife, so that being said, I would rather make sure it is fixed the right way.

How far does the stainless piece fit up in the boot. It has a flange, I'm guessing it just pushes in to that point? Iirc it had o rings on the inside, so those 2 o rings seal the oil from leaking down the driveshaft?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information