Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

P0352 code and wet #2 plug

I just rebuilt this '02 GTX limited n/a. It's hard to start and doesn't idle well or respond well to throttle. I've got a P0352 code and a P1680 as well. There are no burnt fuses. Coils all ohm out 1.1 primary and 11.5k sec. I tried another set of coils as well. Spark plugs ohm out fine and #1 and #3 are firing. #2 is wet. Re-arrange coils or plugs and still #2 wet while #1&3 are dry. Injectors ohm out all at 12.5ohms. injector harness ohms out 12 meg-ohms on tans and 23k on the purples. The coil connectors ohm out 28k on purples and open on tans while not connected on the ECU. While connected on the other hand #1&3 ohm out 20k to purples and about 300 to tan while #2 ohms out 20k on purple and also 20k on tan. Would this suggest that I have a short on #2 coil circuit in the ECU? Possibly contributing to the communication error also?? I'm worried because there is also a pair of jumper cables in the front storage.

+1
    Anybody?

+1
    Anyone at all? Could the MPEM have anything to do with this or are the engine electrics controlled solely by the ECU?

The fault code p0352 is ignition coil #2 short circuit- open to ground or 12v.

P1680 is - communication problem to MPEM.

Im not sure what that means but I really hope you get it sorted. Have you checked all grounds on the side of the block for corrosion? It could be a damaged wire to the mepm and nothing actually wrong with the ignition coil.

Take a good look around at wiring and check for loose connectors.

+1
    Have already checked all wiring and connectors, squeaky clean. Harness also ohms out fine and passes wiggle test. Coils are all good, definitely an electronic control issue.

+1
    have you tested for a signal pulse to #2 coil? check continuity to ecu from coil wire. have you checked for spark from #2?

+1
    I have not checked the signal pulse but looking at the wiring diagram power to coil comes from MPEM and ground from ECU. As per instruction from another member I will repin the connector at the MPEM and see if problem switches to another cylinder thus confirming whether it's the MPEM or not.

There is no need to do what you have stated above. There is no pulse to the coil as someone else said. The MPEM simply applies constant 12 V power to the coil. The ECU fires the coil by effectively shorting the wire from coil to ECU to ground.

Test the coil connector power pin for 12 volts with key on. If you have 12 volts, then your ECU is likely bad. A follow on test would be to test continuity to ground on the ECU pin, to check for shorted transistor.

+1
    Yes, I have power and also re-pinned the MPEM power to #1 and tried #3. Firing issue does not follow plug OR coil, it stays wet on #2 cylinder. I will check for continuity to ground if it stops raining. Thanks guys.

+1
    OK, almost same as readings in my original post. ECU pins to coils read straight to ground as follows:
    #1 287 ohms
    #2 34k ohms
    #3 287 ohms

So anybody concur as to my original theory that I have an internal short in the #2 firing circuit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information