2001 rxdi issues

So today I went out for my second ride of the year. I replaced my wear ring and cleaned my valves over the winter and for the first ride the ski ran awesome. This time when I went out, about halfway through the ride i put the trim half way to start off (which I had already done before on this wear ring) and it felt like it did when it had the old torn up wear ring. It wouldnt pick up like it should have and kinda took a second to go with the motor still revving up... Also when I looked under the seat at the motor, there was oil leaking out of the front valve at the base where the gasket is. also after riding a while wot then shutting it off... It would have a hard time starting... Then when it was cooled down it would start right up... Do you think my wear ring could already be shot again or this a different problem?

+1
    Unless you ingested something in the pump to tear up your new wear ring it should be as new still, you're getting some cavitation when it revs and the pump is moving some air through it.

Try sliding the seat back and riding it a little bit notice any water coming in past the shaft seal? Keep an eye on the bellows and carbon seal it's likely not tight anymore and you're pulling some air through the engine bay out around the shaft seal and into the pump when you spool it up.

My ski isn't getting any water in it at all and I would be if the shaft seal went correct? As far as the valve goes, do you think that it's just the gasket or if there a problem?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxski View Post
    My ski isn't getting any water in it at all and I would be if the shaft seal went correct? As far as the valve goes, do you think that it's just the gasket or if there a problem?
    Probably would be getting water in around the shaft, did you use a new neoprene pump seal when you mounted it? If the pump isn't sealed it will draw air in there to.

If you reused the old o-rings on the rave shaft and housing there's your notice to order some new ones, and check the housing bore and valve stem for wear. Every year I get ski's or boats in that were running on worn housings and valve stems that were out of tolerance and they break a valve and grenade the motor.

It's expensive to buy all new housings, valves and the service kits with bellows and seals but no where near the cost of the dealing with a blown engine from valve failure.

This is the older style housing that came of a '96 XP that uses a flat base gasket but the consequences of wear are the same the bits of jagged metal next to the post it note on the right are what remains of the piston, when the housing bore is at .400 or more it's shot and everything should be replaced before this happens first casualty that came in this year and this is becoming more common every season that passes due to age and neglect.

Thread Information