Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Red face Well, that didn't go as planned...

Sometimes, the best laid plans... and all that. Anyhow, the original plan was for Grace to get a new truck. At that point I would "inherit" the 2012 RAM 1500 Big Horn Hemi to replace the 1996 Camaro Z28 convertible as my daily driver/WaveRunner tow vehicle. Much more appropriate, don't you think?

I finally convinced her to order a new truck. We went all out: 2015 RAM 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel. Leather seats, Alpine stereo, 4-corner air ride suspension, 4X4, 6'4" (long) bed, memory seats, extendable pedals, and whatever else comes in a Laramie. Oh, and the color is Maximum Steel. It's hard to describe, but it's a blueish gray with blue, green, and silver flakes. It finally came in!

And here it is at home after we traded in the Camaro for it:

Here's an attempt at catching the color:

This is what our driveway was supposed to look like at this point:

The plan was for me to drive the new truck until got it completely outfitted for work which should have taken about a week. But then we discovered that NOBODY makes a headache rack for a truck with RamBoxes. So it was going to take longer since we now have to get a custom rack.

But wait a minute! What's this:

Well, the Hemi started to "tick." It wasn't bad, so I thought it was an injector or something equally easy to fix. Then, 4 days after we got the new truck, the Hemi's "check engine" light came on. So we took it in. #3 misfire they told us. So they switched coils around to see if it was electrical. Nope. Pulled the valve cover and discovered that one of the valves wasn't opening as fully as the other valves. So then the real tear down began. One of the lifters had failed; I could easily move the roller about 1/4 inch, and it shouldn't have moved at all. This bad lifter flattened out the corresponding lobe on the cam.

But by this time, the tear down was such that it would only cost $400 more to get a complete new engine than to put in a new cam and put it back together. Yow! We still owed just over $9000 on the truck, new engine (installed) would have run just under $9000. So we would be into the truck for $18,000 or so and it would still be worth less than $10,000. Jeez! What a conundrum. But we decided that we didn't want to even mess with it any more and we would just trade it in on a new vehicle for me.

I really wanted the left over 2014 RAM 1500 Laramie Hemi they had on the lot with 4 corner air ride suspension. Alas, they wouldn't give me any better a deal than they would on a 2015 EcoDiesel. So that's what I ended up with. Big Horn in Granite. So now our driveway looks like this:

Much more appropriate than the Camaro for hauling the WaveRunners around! And much more comfortable, too.

We are the only driveway in the neighborhood with a pair of EcoDiesels in the driveway. But we do have a neighbor with a Granite Laramie 2-tone and RamBoxes. You can actually see it in the video as she comes around the corner.

Wanna know how finicky Grace is about her truck? Well, as soon as we got it home she had me remove the mats and replace them with her Husky rubber mats. So, technically it was modified with less than 20 miles on the odometer (had 4 miles on it when we picked it up). So then she went to Line-X and had them spray the bed to protect it. Good? Well, not good enough for Grace! She made me go to the Ranch Outlet and pick up a 4X6 horse stall mat to protect the Line-X! Well, at least it fits really well in the bed.

Just to make me fell better about the situation and help me forget about the notes on these things, here's a Cajun sunrise over the Atchafalaya Basin.

And that ain't all that's risin' around here:

Nice name for an oyster boat!

Banned User
    +1
    You can't hurt that Line-x stuff with anything. Its tough stuff. You are making me jealous. Thats the truck I want to buy. We need interior pics.

3. +1 by:

+1
    WOW! Awesome man! Congrats! Line-X rules...the steel plates in my ballistics vest are coated with it.

+1
    Truck looks nice.
    Now, get to work on that landscaping.

+1
    I don't know Zig... I kinda miss the 'maro, LOL.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Congrats, they should do look sweet. Would love to see the interior shots also!!!

+1
    Sorry to hear you had to buy new trucks.

Why are you people congratulating him? The ability of people to delude themselves is amazing. Only in America can people get so compleetly screwed and feel they did good. Between driving the two new trucks off the lot and the trade in he just lost between 10-20 grand. I learned the lesson the hard way over two new truck buys. If you sit down and do the math on paper without deluding yourself you would not buy a new truck. Now I only get something I pay 1/3 down and can pay off in a year. Always used under 50k miles. This way I let some poor idiot loose the initial 15%-25% in value and work out any warentee issues. Between finance charges and the initial de-valuation each truck/owner looses over 10 grand once it leaves the lot.

sorry to be a Debbie downer but the logic of people buying a "new" car/truck without most of the cash is not really there.

I would have let the bank have the broken truck if I could not get dodge to cover the repairs. i don't pay for defective equipment and a flattened loab is a defective part unless you admit to running it without oil. A conversation with dodge corporate and all service records will most likely have gotten the work covered. Just have to take the time to ask. I have had work paid for out of warentee more than once. Further more 9k to swap the engine? WTF are they using A new factory engine? It had to be a new engine at that price. Sounds to me like they pulled a fast one on you, there were other options much cheaper. R&R is about 1500 for this job and an engine cost 7500? Not adding up. A new long block does not cost 7500 sorry. You could have taken that engine to any reputable shop and had it rebuilt for under 3k. They used an old trick to get you to buy another truck and fixing that truck at a cost of 9k is about what you lost driving that new truck off the lot plus the loss of the old truck at a below book trade in.

I drive nice reliable cars at an average cost of $1500 a year ownership. Anything over 2000 a year is a bad deal. A new loaded truck will be over 30-40 years until it hits this number. Will you keep it this long?

My friend just got a loaded 2012 ram with extended plan and got it at an auction, Paid 5k lol, my business partner just got a 2008 gmc duramax, For under 6k at an auction. Both needed some love but we're totally a great deal.

+1
    nice ziggy! ignore hill.. dude seems to hate on everything.

what is the milage on those? ive heard a cpl ram commercials but didnt pay close attention to them where they we talking about 28mpg from a truck. after we buy our house we are looking at upgrading from the jeep compass to a truck.

Banned User
    +1
    In another thread i think he posted he had over 170,000 miles on the bad motor. What manufacturer in their right mind would pay to fix that?

Some people like to buy new. I am one of them. I buy new and keep them as long as possible. My vehicle is very personal to me. I dont want someone elses junk. My current 2007 Ram 1500 has 194,000 miles on it. Still going strong and still looks great. I take care of it. It looks as good as the day i bought it. I plan to keep it another 4 years.

Its not much different with skis. If you keep a vehicle long enough the depreciation becomes almost irrelevant.

I love the new truck. Im sure the OP does as well.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by liquid chicken View Post
    nice ziggy! ignore hill.. dude seems to hate on everything.

what is the milage on those? ive heard a cpl ram commercials but didnt pay close attention to them where they we talking about 28mpg from a truck. after we buy our house we are looking at upgrading from the jeep compass to a truck.
    Rated 28MPG highway. I have heard rumors of people seeing 30+ with them. Its really the ideal thing for a light duty truck. I am definitely buying one when the time comes. The Hemi is an awesome motor but i do so much driving and pulling small trailers that the upcharge for the diesel is a no brainer. Its around a 3k option.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information