Thread: 1999 XLL

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar

1999 XLL

Trying to figure out why my ski isn't getting fuel, had the carbs rebuilt a few years back, removed choke, added primer (which the pump seems to have went bad this winter). If I put premix in the cylinders, starts right up, but nothing otherwise. Used the search engine, nothing jumped out. Hard to read diagrams on this phone, any help/ items to check would be appreciated. When I look at the I like fuel filter, it has fuel in it. This is the first start after replacing the #1 cyl/piston...

thank you you in advance!
    Last edited by stlouisramsfan; 05-03-2015 at 08:13 PM.

+1
    I've got a 98 GP1200 that does the same.I installed clear fuel lines and now can see fuel.Seems like I read somewhere that leaving fuel selector on for a period will let fuel siphon back to tank. I spray fuel into FA's till it starts pumping.Primer has no fuel till return line fills.

Going to pull the sending unit and inspect the openings for the normal and reserve, orders a new primer pump and will try to inspect the fuel selector switch. I assume i will be able to blow air through the various openings, depending on what is selected (on-reserve-off).... Thanks for the info dock walker

All it would take is a few more the of ethonol mixed gas to stop those carbs back up

If not a blockage somewhere in the fuel inlet lines to the carb, you could have a pressure leak in the tank (gas cap, sender unit, return lines...etc) that causes the pressure the pumps make on the carbs to leak out before being able to push fuel into the carbs. You could also have the fuel flapper thingy blocking the fuel inlet pipes in the sending unit... I'd bet on a blockage in the carbs though.

What happened to the primer to make it not work? If it's all gunked up, the carbs probably are too.

Here's how the fuel line stuff connects: from the tank sending unit you have 2 fuel outlets (labeled 'Res' and 'On' on the top of sending unit), a vent connection, and the return line from the carbs. The 'On' and 'Res' outlets go to the selector switch (labeled accordingly on the switch housing). The out from the switch goes to the 'in' of the fuel filter (arrow on the filter shows fuel flow direction) and then the out from the fuel filter goes to the in of the carbs (arrows on each carb fuel pump shows which is inlet and which is return to tank). The vent connection on the sender is the pipe that goes straight up (the remaining 3 are 90 degree bends). The return line on the sender might not be labeled, I can't remember, but it'll be the only one left at this point. That connects directly to the carb return fuel line.

Thanks awh4992, the primer looked brand new, just lost the seal, I guess from the ethanol in the gas. I disassembled it and clean as a whistle. I will go through the lines and see what I can find, great explanation. I hope to not pull the stinger and carbs.... We will see

Replaced the primer, fired right up, ran great, thanks for all your help, just need to adjust the idle up a tad

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    you should hook up the primer on the reserve not on the on side that way if the primer goes bad it will not cause it to suck air when you try to start.

That's what was strange, it is on the reserve, I tried to start in the on position, and res , neither gained enough fuel to initially start.... Once primed, ran great

Id check the Tee fitting where the primer line hooks into the fuel line. Maybe theres a blockage.

Thread Information