2002 Polaris freedom falling on its face

Wednesday I bought a 2002 Polaris freedom the previous owner had a full rebuild done to the engine all hoses replaced filter all's battery and rebuilt the carburetor. He gave me a book of everything that was done to the ski along with all the proper repair manuals. Today I took it down to the boat ramp and put it in the water I let it warm up and when I got ready to take off at about half throttle it fell on its face it seems to be that it is not getting a enough gas. I don't know this for sure maybe it is sucking air from one of the hoses. I checked all of the hose clamps made sure that the fuel filter was tight the in-line filter was tight they appear to be brand-new noticed that the gaskets that were sticking out from the of the edges of the engine components appear to be new. the ski fires right up idles fine just when you take off it's like it'slike it's not getting enough gas and it just wants to die. Does anyone have any answers or anything that I might check this is the first ski I have owned and I would really appreciate any helpful information. Also when I hooked it up to the water hose and reved it up it revs fine it does not miss or wanting to bog down Any ideas?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The Polaris Freedom is based on the Virage two cylinder model, but the Freedom has a number of feature differences.

While I am pondering how best to diagnose, take some time to click on my signature links and read about the domestic red engine Polaris models. There is not a lot of Freedom model specific info but the Freedom does share a lot of common core components with the Virage two cylinder and the SL700, among others.

+1
    Who did the carburetor rebuild? The prior owner or a service shop?

Has this machine ever been tested or run properly since the engine rebuild?

Are the correct NGK spark plugs installed?

When testing at the launch ramp, it is not necessary to float the hull off the trailer. Indeed, it is better to keep the hull fully strapped down to the trailer, front and rear. Back it down the ramp until the jet pump inlet is fully submerged.

Now you can take the seat off and run the engine as long as necessary to diagnose problems or confirm the engine is working properly. You can apply throttle, check for exhaust leaks, water leaks, reverse, etc. Make sure there are no rocks or loose debris under the hull as the jet pump intake creates a significant suction.

An exhaust leak inside the hull, for example, will cause the engine to run poorly as it draws contaminated air back into the engine, resulting in rough running and reduced power.

02 Polaris freedom falls on its face at plane

I bought this ski this week. I took it out yesterday and at plane it will get out of the water then Boggs down. It idles fine . Out off the water it idles and revs fine but in the water it seems to be running lean? The guy I bought it from just rebuilt the motor ( red domestic) the caburator was also rebuilt. I can see the new gaskets from the engine components. It has a new wear ring. This is my first ski and I thought that hearing it run with the water hose connected to it was enough when I bought it. I payed 1500 for it. I have went through and looked at the in line filter, plugs, tightened all the hose clamps to make sure it wasn't pulling air in. I talked to the guy I bought it from and he assured me that it wasn't anything major. I just don't know a lot a bout pwc's and how everything works. I put 30 buck of 93 100% gas in it and topped off the oil resivor before I went to the lake. It's like it just Boggs down when you throw the throttle to it. Any help would be great! Thank you!

K447 I read the info and did learn a lot on how to take care of the machine. I have a folder full of receipts and matinence that he did to it. It is running the Ngk plugs and they don't seem to be fouled. I notices just a little bit of carbon on them when I pulled them out. The plugs weren't wet or oily. I live on a lake so today I have fooled with it, taken it to the ramp, fooled with it , taken it to the ramp. There is a boat repair facility a couple of miles from my house my plan is to just take it there because I'm stumped.

Oh also the previous owner told me that after the rebuild he broke the motor in for about 8-10 hours to seat the rings. The guy was a engineer and said he was selling it because his buddies sold theirs and he didn't have anyone to ride with anymore.

+1
    Go to the site below and start reading. There is a wealth of knowledge about the ski you just bought.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do
    Last edited by K447; 05-03-2015 at 08:59 PM.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambonesmokedu2x View Post
    Oh also the previous owner told me that after the rebuild he broke the motor in for about 8-10 hours to seat the rings. The guy was a engineer and said he was selling it because his buddies sold theirs and he didn't have anyone to ride with anymore.
    Well, someone needs to do some diagnostics to determine what is causing trouble. The info in my signature links and throughout the Polaris Greenhulk forums can provide background, lots of technical info and point out common problems.

As with any motor, a methodical process is necessary to avoid guessing and wasted time/effort/money.

As you now know, seeing it running on a garden hose is not sufficient to determine if the engine is actually working properly.

The problem cause could be electrical, fuel/carburetor/air or it could even be mechanical. It is also possible that there is more than one problem happening at the same time. This is why a proper diagnostic approach is useful.

Update: total rebuild or motor

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambonesmokedu2x View Post
    Well, someone needs to do some diagnostics to determine what is causing trouble. The info in my signature links and throughout the Polaris Greenhulk forums can provide background, lots of technical info and point out common problems.

As with any motor, a methodical process is necessary to avoid guessing and wasted time/effort/money.

As you now know, seeing it running on a garden hose is not sufficient to determine if the engine is actually working properly.

The problem cause could be electrical, fuel/carburetor/air or it could even be mechanical. It is also possible that there is more than one problem happening at the same time. This is why a proper diagnostic approach is useful.
    had a total rebuild of motor top to bottom. I'm not impressed with the Polaris ski, runs good, but there is so much vibration from the engine I have to constantly tighten bolts, especially the carb, after a day on the lake it is sucking air from bolts coming loose. Needless to say I will be selling this ski and moving to a Honda.

Thread Information