Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine went off

+1

Engine went off

Hi guys. This morning I put my ski in the water to enjoy a beautiful day with my family and everything was going perfect. I began riding the ski and everything was normal until I notice some things that I'm not sure if there were normal or not, but here it is:
    1) My intercooler has a pisser and today I notice that there was not as much water coming out as always.
    2) I kept going and at high speed there was a fraction of a second when I felt like it lost power, but almost immediately it went back to normal.
    3) Just when we were getting to our destiny the engine shutdown by itself and I was never able to start it again. Temperature was at 222F

One thing that I did notice was that my ski has always taken a little water through the back access panels, but this time it seems to like it got more. I try to dry out as much as possible, but it looks like it kept coming in from somewhere (even when the ski was just sitting in the water because it wouldn't start). The water maintain a certain level, but was more that previous times.
    You can imagine my frustration sitting in the sand all day just looking at it and thinking $$$$$$
    Last edited by jumpman; 05-04-2015 at 07:05 AM.

+1
    222F = 105 Celsius. Overheating shutted your ski down.
    185 / 190F is normal for stock ski.
    You were able to start it later? Any fault codes coming up?
    Go check your cooling system, probably there's a blockage somewhere.
    Take of the cooling hoses and go check.
    The inlet is the black hose on the left side of the jetpump. Inside it's coming in under the IBR servomotor.
    In the pump (you can't see it without dismantling the pump there is a small strainer).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EVN81 View Post
    222F = 105 Celsius. Overheating shutted your ski down.
    185 / 190F is normal for stock ski.
    You were able to start it later? Any fault codes coming up?
    Go check your cooling system, probably there's a blockage somewhere.
    Take of the cooling hoses and go check.
    The inlet is the black hose on the left side of the jetpump. Inside it's coming in under the IBR servomotor.
    In the pump (you can't see it without dismantling the pump there is a small strainer).
    I was never able to start it again. The water inside the hull really got me worried because even though the previous owner just put 19 hours on it the dealer had to replace the engine with a new one because of the intercooler failure that model had. The reason was that intercooler failed and water got into the pistons. They replaced everything, even put the new intercooler, but I'm just praying that the lightning didn't striked back.

+1
    The 'new' OEM IC they putted in at that time were scrap as well.
    Pull of your hose between IC & throttle body and see if there's water or salt residue.
    Is the engine turning when you try to start? Or nothing happens?
    Pull the spark plugs and inspect them.
    No fault codes?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EVN81 View Post
    The 'new' OEM IC they putted in at that time were scrap as well.
    Pull of your hose between IC & throttle body and see if there's water or salt residue.
    Is the engine turning when you try to start? Or nothing happens?
    Pull the spark plugs and inspect them.
    No fault codes?
    No fault codes or any other alert at all. The engine try turning for about a second and the die. It's the kind of sound like when you try to start a car that the battery is about to die. I'm taking it today to my mechanic just yo make sure everything gets inspected. I'll post later to let you know how it goes, but any advice during that time is really appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
    No fault codes or any other alert at all. The engine try turning for about a second and the die. It's the kind of sound like when you try to start a car that the battery is about to die
    Then I hope you did not hydrolocked your engine..... That will be some serious $$$$$$$

Take out the plugs and you will know.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1340.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	357792

I know of 3 guys with this model pump that have had this hose split wide open, including myself. Raise the ibr gate and check this hose and the hose clamp. This is the MAIN water source from the pump to the inside components. BRP redesigned the hose and made it stronger in 2011.

Sounds like you overheated the engine and exhaust, which can obviously cause other damage.

+1
    Pull the plugs and then try to turn it over with the throttle maxed. See if water shoots out any of the cylinders.

+1
    Ok guys, first word from the mechanic just got in and they are not good. Apparently some bearings got damage and that leaded to the destruction of my supercharger and some other parts. He's still checking for other possible damages, but apparently the engine didn't suffer (at least for now). I'll let you guys know the final word on it, but the way I see it my summer is officially over since it's really hard for me to get that kind of cash out so fast. Enjoy yours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
    Ok guys, first word from the mechanic just got in and they are not good. Apparently some bearings got damage and that leaded to the destruction of my supercharger and some other parts. He's still checking for other possible damages, but apparently the engine didn't suffer (at least for now). I'll let you guys know the final word on it, but the way I see it my summer is officially over since it's really hard for me to get that kind of cash out so fast. Enjoy yours.
    That sucks

Sorry to hear man !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information