Maybe a Dumb Question?

96 SLX 780. Recently bought new oil and ring free plus. I'm assuming my ski has a oil drain plug and a filter, anyone know where to get the filter and how exactly do I drain it?

+1
    No oil drain plug. 2 stroke skis burn oil, not house it within the crankcase. If your ski is still setup for oil injection, there will be an oil tank which is accessible by opening the front hood and lifting out the storage bin. The fill cap is adjacent to the steering mounting location. This will connect to the oil pump via a single oil line, with an inline filter. It is recommended to replace the inline filter as a part of regular maintenance. If the tank is missing, or no longer connected to the oil pump located down low under the carbs near the PTO piston, then a block off kit has been installed and you should be pre-mixing fuel to oil at a 40:1 ratio.

Far as I know and can tell its oil injection not premixed. I know the oil full tank cap is right under the front hood area.

I'll remove the storage bin and track down that filter and replace.

As for changing oil since it burns it there is no need to flush out or replace?

Thanks
    Last edited by K447; 05-04-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dmueller9834 View Post
    96 SLX 780. Recently bought new oil and ring free plus.

I'm assuming my ski has a oil drain plug and a filter, anyone know where to get the filter and how exactly do I drain it?
    The key with these machines is not assuming anything. Why assume the piston rings are sticking or there is carbon accumulation?

Unlike a boat outboard motor, PWC engines tend to spend most of their running hours at mid-range and higher RPM where combustion is more complete and the piston temperatures are high. Outboards that spend a lot of time at trolling and slow speeds often accumulate carbon behind the piston rings, not so much with these high output high RPM watercraft engines.

That said, if there is concern, the first step is to check cylinder compression. All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open. If all cylinders are similar compression but you still want to check, you can remove the cylinder heads for visual inspection.

+1
    Far as I know and can tell its oil injection not premixed. I know the oil full tank cap is right under the front hood area.

Thanks
    If you are unsure of the oil type or quality and want to replace it by all means drain and refill. You will have to either suction the oil out, or disconnect the same line that the filter is attached to and drain it that way. The oil moves via gravity.

Maybe a Dumb Question?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post

Thanks
    If you are unsure of the oil type or quality and want to replace it by all means drain and refill. You will have to either suction the oil out, or disconnect the same line that the filter is attached to and drain it that way. The oil moves via gravity.
    Oil is great I think! VES II GOLD synthetic is all I've used since I've bought it. Just didn't know where to get a new filter as I'm Doing new plugs this spring as suggested on this forum.

Thread Information