Need a tech guru on the electrical side

I built a 11' jet boat and used a stx15f engine jet pump. I have since added a trim ring/nozzle set up . The power trim motor is off a 99ultra 150. My question is I need to know what gauge I can buy and how to wire it up so I can see my nozzle position. Thanks guys!

+1
    Well, I can't tell you the answer, but I can give you some things to think about.

First, I'd measure the potentiometer at both ends of travel to see what the range is. You might get lucky and find something like a fuel gauge that has that range, but I doubt it. You could figure what the voltage range across it would be when 12 volts was applied and perhaps find a voltmeter that you could calibrate to work.

One very important thing to consider is that you need a way to limit the travel. The factory setup turns off power to the motor at the end of travel so you don't burn up the motor. Not sure how it's done on the Ultra 150 trim box. On the old ones, there was another set of brushes inside the motor that actually counted revolutions. (Sounds like a very convoluted method to me, I'd just rig up a couple of microswitches).

+1
    i had to wire up a trim gauge on my ultra 150 conversion ski it was pretty simple. i bought a gauge off a 98 kawasaki you will also need an ultra 150 wiring harness, computer, power trim box, and handle bar trim switch. the computer will control the trim limit up and down. you just have to trace the wiring to figure out what wires you will need. here are some photos of my modified harness.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4035.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	357943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4037.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	357945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4039.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	357946

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Care to share some close ups of the harness connectors?

Sean

What's the trim computer look like? Thanks. You guys are awesome I appreciate it!!!is the trim module inside the cover what your calling the computer??? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Care to share some close ups of the harness connectors?

Sean
    The connectors are are just the ones from the factory ultra 150 wiring harness. I just reverse engineered the harness to understand how it worked

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremywilliams View Post
    What's the trim computer look like? Thanks. You guys are awesome I appreciate it!!!is the trim module inside the cover what your calling the computer??? Thanks
    In the first image its that black square sealed box in the top left corner. It has two large gray connectors coming out of it

Thanks guys ! Got it all installed this weekend.i used the power trim set motor and housing off the ultra 150, the angle sensor of the 900 stx and trim switch and module out of the 900 stx as well. Wasn't to hard once you get the schematic and tear into it. I appreciate it guys.

+1
    Make sure you put the bellows seal on the back of the cable. If you don't, water can work it's way up the cable and corrode it. It may even make it into the trim motor box.

Kawasaki Trim Cable Bellows: 49016-3702

Thread Information