Exclamation Newbie help! 1997 Polaris SL 750

Hey all! New here. Found the above mentioned ski pretty close to me and I can buy it for $750 trailer and all. I have read thru a lot of things on here that I would do after I buy it. However what should i be looking for in a water test and just a general look over on this thing? I have to drives about 200 miles to inspect and test it out so no mechanic etc. owner says it runs and will let me water test it but it needs a tune up and a choke knob and a seat handle according to them. Not sure what they mean by tune up or even if they know what they mean. Help! I don't want to make a $750 mistake.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

There is a section within my signature links on how to evaluate a used watercraft prior to purchase. It is not Polaris specific but the basics still apply.

'Just needs a tune up' generally means the engine is not running as it should be. Why it is not running well, that can be the tricky question.

These engines really do need the carburetor and the entire fuel system to be 100% clean, not gummed up with old gasoline. The original gray Tempo fuel hoses are known to degrade, the fuel filter should be OEM not aftermarket. Incorrect spark plugs can cause strange symptoms.

Note that there was no 750 engine/model sold in 1997. Either the engine size is 700cc or the model year is not 1997. Model year is the last two digits on the HIN number plate on the rear deck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wessmith2007 View Post
    Hey all! New here. Found the above mentioned ski pretty close to me and I can buy it for $750 trailer and all. I have read thru a lot of things on here that I would do after I buy it. However what should i be looking for in a water test and just a general look over on this thing? I have to drives about 200 miles to inspect and test it out so no mechanic etc. owner says it runs and will let me water test it but it needs a tune up and a choke knob and a seat handle according to them. Not sure what they mean by tune up or even if they know what they mean. Help! I don't want to make a $750 mistake.

Never take the sellers word! They want to get rid of it, whatever they say is or is not wrong, forget about it! Take a compression tester and ask if they have a battery. Last thing you want is a holed piston. Ask for service records, if any. I bought mine with the seller saying the engine had 130-130-115 compression, nope, it's a 115 on all 3. If you get there and the ski doesn't run see if you can talk the price down a bit. The seller of mine couldn't figure why no fuel was getting to the carbs, well, the lines in the tank rotted off. Of course I paid 200 for two skis.

Thread Information