+1

03 gp800r oil in the crankcase.

I pulled the top end from this ski and looking into the crankcase I see some oil puddled at the bottom of the case. It this normal? I split the casings and cleaned the crank, casings, and bearings. Replaced the outside seals. No where does the manual say to add oil to the bottom end. I have a seadoo DI that also has the same amount of oil in the casings. Any info on this I would be greatfull. Thanks

its normal, thats residual you want to see that. When rebuilding make sure you add oil to the holes on top side of the cases were each bearing sits inside the case. You will see them when bottom end is rebuilt and engine is right side up.
    Build the bottom end let the sealent dry a week and when installing the top end lube the crank bearings.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    its normal, thats residual you want to see that. When rebuilding make sure you add oil to the holes on top side of the cases were each bearing sits inside the case. You will see them when bottom end is rebuilt and engine is right side up.
    Build the bottom end let the sealent dry a week and when installing the top end lube the crank bearings.
    Awesome, so do I need to add about the same as what was in the cases now that I cleaned everything and reassembled?

nope, just couple of squirts down each oiling hole on the cases before adding top end.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Normal. A lot of people think that the oil mixed with the gas says like that when infact most of it separates once sprayed through the carbs. Most of the oil stays behind in the crankcase lubricating the crank and the residual oil will get pushed up through the ports with the gas once it pools to a certain point along with what's left in the gas. It will also get splashed up under the piston skirt which is why you will see lubricating holes in the piston. There is a more scientific explanation of the above but that's the gist of it.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    nope, just couple of squirts down each oiling hole on the cases before adding top end.
    Are these the oiling holes?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-05-05 22.07.38.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	357953

+1
    I know this is unrelated to the title of the post but when I tore this motor down there was 2 washers per piston on the the wrist pin. Do need to reinstall those washers? My WSM top end kit did not come with them. Had everything else but the washers. Not sure if they delete them with the new kit. Never rebuilt a yamaha before. Plenty of seadoos.

+1
    Crickets.............Ok, I guess I'll just delete the wrist pin washers and fill the eight holes with oil and hope for the best.��

yes, the arrows point to the main bearing oil holes. I haven't seen a engine with 2 holes per bearing before..learn something every day. a squirt down in one then give the crank a rev revolutions. Then turn the crank so the big end is at the op and squirt a bit of oil between the crank and the big end of the rod, I use a sewing machine oil bottle, or if you cant find one, a tomato sause bottle works well to. Dont forget plenty of 2 stroke oil on the little end bearing, rings and piston skirts too

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STX11 View Post
    yes, the arrows point to the main bearing oil holes. I haven't seen a engine with 2 holes per bearing before..learn something every day. a squirt down in one then give the crank a rev revolutions. Then turn the crank so the big end is at the op and squirt a bit of oil between the crank and the big end of the rod, I use a sewing machine oil bottle, or if you cant find one, a tomato sause bottle works well to. Dont forget plenty of 2 stroke oil on the little end bearing, rings and piston skirts too

Thanks I appreciate the help.

Thread Information