Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

01 Polaris Virage 1200 Carb - melted Resonator #1

Well took it for it spring trial run in Three Lakes WI this past weekend. I was running between 20 and 30 mph. 1.5 loops around the lake and my 1200 suddenly loses power very quickly and I have to give it near full throttle just to keep it running. I look in the back to see smoke seeping from the seat . Open the seat and pull the cooler out and smoke is billowing out. Paddled in and determined that my Resonator #1 melted. What the heck? I have read threads and I do have that red/pink aluminum check valve in my hose in the exhaust pipe. So I now know to remove that or pull the guts out. Can that really be all there is to this heating issue??? Why did this not happen on my fall testing cruise?

Now when I bought this machine in parts, they had a metallic car exhaust piece from the water box to the U shaped tube going to Resonator #2. So Resonator #1 was replaced by a simple metal tube. So I feel this machine has some heating history. I never saw the display indicate "Heat" issue. I felt the cooling rail, the cylinder heads, and the red exhaust pipe and all were "cool" to the touch and not indicating a "hot" type of status. I really can't keep replacing resonator #1 and have the "smoking" drama on the water. Anything else that I should be checking? Any test to see if water is flowing where it should be while on the trailer? The upper screen on that water line tube was clear as a bell. Should I try to check that lower connection on the lower end of the exhaust manifold? I have a lot of hours into this machine so I want to have some fun and stop worrying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	357855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	357854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	357856  

Banned User
    +1
    Most likely the rubber ball in the jet works valve was stuck. The best fix for those is to replace the rubber ball with a delrin plastic ball. Also check the fitting at the top of the pipe to make sure that is clean.

Banned User
    +1
    The ball in the check valve gets stuck from sitting for long periods of time. The new versions come with a plastic ball to fix that problem. I may have a plastic ball here if you want to do that. I will look later today. You can always stop by if you want another set of eyes on it.

4. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    Most likely the rubber ball in the jet works valve was stuck. The best fix for those is to replace the rubber ball with a delrin plastic ball. Also check the fitting at the top of the pipe to make sure that is clean.
    The jetworks valve was deleted from production after 2001, correct?

Any reason to not simply delete the valve entirely?

I don't know if the exhaust water injection orifice is sized differently between 2001 and 2002, or if the water box is exactly the same. Just too lazy to look it up myself

Banned User
    +1
    The cooling orifice is bigger. I found on my 2001 pro 1200 that without the jetworks valve the water box would fill to the point of choking the engine with prolonged idling. It was a real bear to restart too untill you could rev it enough to clear the water box. I think the easiest fix is to replace the ball in the valve.

Banned User
    +1
    I do have a plastic ball for the valve here. Some beerdart guy was kind enough to send me a few extras last year.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pulling those resonators is some painful; $#$#$

luckily they were/are still available new.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    I may have another resonator fro you. I know I pulled that one off the 02 I just parted out, I'm just not sure if I threw it back in the hull or saved it. Let me know if your interested.

Mr Matrix: When could I bring my ski by for that extra set of eyes? I would appreciate picking up one of those alternatives. Let me know if there is an evening or sometime on Saturday that we can go over my unit. It just happened so quickly I was off-guard and surprised with the temp of the lakes up there. Wondering if something else is a contributing factor.

Unity: I just received my replacement in the mail today. But I will keep you on the short-list if another replacement is warranted!!

Thanks all!

Stevo

Banned User
    +1
    Im around saturday if you want to stop by.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information