Exciter 4-stroke VX110 twin engine conversion completed

I have owned my 98 Exciter 270 for probably 12 years, It was a really fun boat when it ran well, but suffered from the common two-stroke issues that we are all familiar with. About 4 years ago I finally parked the boat in storage due to a ring coming up past a piston. I had plans at that time to do some sort of 4-stroke conversion on the boat initially thinking maybe a single automotive V6, but there were many obstacles to overcome with that path. Instead, last year I decided to use the common, easy to find, inexpensive, and reliable VX110 MR1 engine as the basis for my conversion. I ended up buying 3 ex-rental skis for less than 3K total. They were in various states of repair but would provide all the necessary components for the project. I was able to utilize the complete VX pumps and driveline in the Exciter hull (pumps mounted inverted to fit). By doing this it allowed the use of the stock VX impellers and moved the drive coupler to the rear of the engine compartment to allow for the much larger (physically) engines. I went through both donor engines and freshened them up as necessary. With relocated engine mounts it all fits nicely within the stock engine bay. The electric fuel pumps were mounted in the tank, wiring harnesses modified as necessary, and all plumbing reconnected. My goal was to have it ready for the water by Memorial day weekend but finished the project early and test ran it on the water last weekend. I am very pleased with the results, the boat still has all its former character with strong acceleration and a GPS top speed of 52 mph (indicates 57 on speedo, used to indicate 60). A little slower than it was, but my goal was not top speed but rather reliability, better fuel economy, ease of operation, and an economical conversion. In the end, the fuel injected 4-strokes perform smoothly, quietly, and are not near as thirsty as the two-strokes. Here are a few pictures along the way:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c9wRKhql.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	357883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ozu7AEnl.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	357884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uEody58l.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	357880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7b1g4Edl.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	357881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19uDbPfl.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	357882  

+1
    Great work !!!

Nice work! Conversion projects can be expensive and you did two!

+1
    Congrats

+1
    Nice

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawasakiman View Post
    my goal was not top speed but rather reliability, better fuel economy, ease of operation, and an economical conversion.
    Awesome work! Kawasakiman with Yamaha! Smart guy.

+1
    A very impressive conversion & you should be using 50% less fuel than before. A friend had the one with 2 155 xlt motors in it, it was fun, but you could literally see the fuel gauge moving a full throttle. Were you able to come up with a way to run only one engine if you need to? Again, good work!!

Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    A very impressive conversion & you should be using 50% less fuel than before. A friend had the one with 2 155 xlt motors in it, it was fun, but you could literally see the fuel gauge moving a full throttle. Were you able to come up with a way to run only one engine if you need to? Again, good work!!
    Thanks to everyone for the compliments.

The engines can be run independently, but the boat will not plane out on only one engine. I was thinking it might with the 4-strokes, but it is similar to the way it was with the 135 horsepower 2-strokes. I think the second pickup/pump creates too much drag. Unfortunately if you lose one engine it is slow speed back to the dock.

+1
    Nice work man!

Thread Information