Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

New Season, Getting the 250X Ready to go!

Hey guys, after a long winter here the lakes are finally thawed and it's time to bring the Jet Ski out. So I'm needing to do an oil change and pump upgrade to get this ready for the water this season.

Is there any easy ways to get the filter off for my oil change?

Also what parts do I need to upgrade my pump, and how many hours of labor should it take a mechanic if I pull the pump myself?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    Hey guys, after a long winter here the lakes are finally thawed and it's time to bring the Jet Ski out. So I'm needing to do an oil change and pump upgrade to get this ready for the water this season.

Is there any easy ways to get the filter off for my oil change?

Also what parts do I need to upgrade my pump, and how many hours of labor should it take a mechanic if I pull the pump myself?
    The oil filter has to be done blindly because it's right under the TB you can't see it,your gonna have to lean in and under from the left side (port)and just feel your way till you lock on with your filter wrench ,I like the OEM Kawa wrench head that you attach to a stubby 3/8ths ratchet, when you hand tighten the new filter and want to tighten slightly more with the wrench smear a little oil on the inside of the wrench and on the head of the filter and always the rubber gasket part of new filter..

The smear oil will make it easier to release the wrench from the filter..

If you wanna upgrade your pump with additional bearing and nut and have taken the pump out and have a press stand and some truck sockets you can DIY,I wrote a Thread in the "how to" section of Kawa..
    Last edited by jetdave56; 05-06-2015 at 05:01 PM.

+1
    Thanks JetDave! I'll get on the oil change tomorrow, and then get the pump done when I can get the parts. How long would it take a mechanic to press in all the bearings because that's the only part I don't have the knowledge/tools for.

I have found the best filters are KN for the 250s. They have a nut on the rear so its much easier to take off. As for the pump, if you have not already done so, I would recommend upgrading to the new design. Kawi Performance also sells the oil filters as well. You can find a full upgrade kit with everything you need here: http://www.kawiperformance.com/jet-p...-upgrades.html

It is pretty easy to do the pump.

+1
    Yeah the pump's getting upgraded to the new style, that's the only reason the pumps being rebuilt. Do I need the $275 kit? Thanks I'll grab an oil filter from KN!

No problem. Yes, that kit is everything you need for the pump upgrade. (The upgrade is much less strain on your motor and much safer with the additional bearing and nut) It comes with all the bearings, parts, seals and grease. It comes with an installation manual as well, so your mechanic can just follow the directions provided.

Let me know if you need help! It shouldn't take your mechanic more than an hour to do

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCharged67 View Post
    Yeah the pump's getting upgraded to the new style, that's the only reason the pumps being rebuilt. Do I need the $275 kit? Thanks I'll grab an oil filter from KN!
    Save some money and do it the smart way ,

and just buy the parts here http://www.shopsbt.com/kawasaki-jet-...ra-300-lx.html

then a simple $50 mod to the shaft to add nut and extra room for 2nd bearing

spend the rest on booze I say

Waz

It doesn't really save you anything doing it that way (But I do agree with the beer part), plus there is no guarantee whoever does the machining will be spot on with those cuts and threads. These shaft are CNC machined to 5 tenths, you cant get that on a lathe. Any out of roundness at that rpm would not be pretty.

+1
    some people just cant be told waz i guess here in aust are the only peeps who can use a lathe correctly lol

i also like how some say the best filter are a k&n, maybe they just worded it incorrectly and could say "i use a k&n", but theres nothing wrong with the oem ones. how many threads are there here on oil filter failure

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    I ve been doing these since 2007 way before 99% of the people who now are just getting into the ultra platform

I charge $50 for an exchange shaft..Machined by me to OEM specs or better

new bearing and seals etc

I only charge $300 fitted. ..if they walk in with the pump in there hand

So to me $275 is dear for parts only....

Waz
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 05-07-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information