1997 seadoo gtx 787 wont stay running :'(

Hey everyone im new to this sport and i purchased a 1997 seadoo gtx 787 last year and when i first bought it, it wouldn't go faster then 60kmh. So i decided to rebuild the carbs and change the fuel lines because they had the grey lines. I took the ski out yesterday and it will run fine for 5min then the engine just cuts out while im doing 80kmh . I restarted it again and it would go for a min then cut out again, and last time i restarted ( getting closer to the dock) it was running a little rough wouldn't let me go wot...and my lcd says 12v low and i have a brand new battery in it this year. Last year it also said 12v low but was running all day but limited to 60kmh cuz the gunk in the carbs...plz help

I checked the compression and one cylinder is at 145psi and the other at 110psi, ao i opened the top end up and heres a pic(dont know how to post yet), looks like theres no oil in there and the spark plug is grey on the 110psi plug and the other is choclate brown.

Heres the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150507_144411.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	358128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150507_144402.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	358129  

+1
    You have a couple different problems. 12v low is usually a sign of a failed rectifier on these. The running and cutting out was probably because it was lean seizing on you OR maybe your oil injection pump has quit. It's hard for me to tell in the pics but there is a definitely an issue with that front cylinder

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. one cylinder has oil(145psi) and looks and runs great the other looks dry(110psi) why is one side getting oil and not the other side? Where would i check for this or is there a oil adjustment somewhere?

+1
    It could be getting oil and not enough fuel too. Oil pump can be taken off and tested. I use an old bolt that I cut a slot into chucked up in my drill. I believe you will run the drill in reverse. Use a piece of tubing full of oil and run the drill while holding the lever wide open on the pump. You should get a drip out each line about every second. Contrary to popular belief they DO go bad sometimes.

Ok so your saying that even tho 1 cylinder is getting oil the other one isn't because of the oil pump? And also could it do anything with the low speed and high speed screw? Because this just started after i cleaned the carbs.

+1
    Definately could. If the carbs were still dirty or badly adjusted it could run lean.

Yes i didnt adjust the screws yet im going to try that, is it factory settings then or should i adjust them differently? ?

+1
    I'd place my money on your main problem being the rectifier. I had similar symptoms in my '97 GTX. 12v low warning, dieing if I gave it more then 3/4 throttle, running rough, then finally frequent stalling. I think I paid $25 for a replacement on eBay, though the cheap units are hit and miss so most people will recommend OEM Seadoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy425425 View Post
    I'd place my money on your main problem being the rectifier. I had similar symptoms in my '97 GTX. 12v low warning, dieing if I gave it more then 3/4 throttle, running rough, then finally frequent stalling. I think I paid $25 for a replacement on eBay, though the cheap units are hit and miss so most people will recommend OEM Seadoo.
    Ok I'm going to replace that too, I was gonna look into it too. Thanks for the help guys I'm gonna let you know what happens after the weekend I work long hours and probably won't be able to touch the ski till Monday

Thread Information